At Rush, we know that understanding the cost of health care can be complicated. We are committed to helping you understand the complexities of these costs.
Rush is committed to price transparency. Price transparency is clear, easy-to-understand information about hospital charges. This information can help you make educated decisions about receiving health care services here.
The chart below includes the cost for common services at Rush University Medical Center. These are hospital prices only and do not include professional services provided by physicians, surgeons, radiologists or other providers.
|Private room →||$2,315|
|Semi-private room →||$2,315|
|Observation, first hour →||$1,027|
|Observation, each additional hour →||$56|
|Emergency room visit, level 3 (urgent, not life threatening) →||$1,700|
Prices effective July 1, 2018
As part of our effort to increase price transparency, you can also review our standard charges below, which include the prices for a comprehensive list of services at Rush University Medical Center.
- Procedure charges [XLS | CSV]
- Average hospital inpatient charges by Medicare Severity Diagnosis Related Group (MSDRG) [XLS | CSV]
- Supply pricing for known supplies charged in 2019 [XLS | CSV]
- Pharmacy pricing for known drugs charged in 2019 [XLS | CSV]
Cost to the patient
Prices are the same for all patients regardless of insurance status or types of coverage.
These prices do not reflect what you will ultimately pay out of pocket. You will likely only be responsible for a percentage of this cost. There are several different factors that determine your cost for health care services you receive.
- Insurance coverage and benefits: This is the amount that your insurance provider has contractually agreed to pay Rush for services you receive. Your benefits also detail the types of services that your insurer will cover.
- Out-of-pocket costs: This is the portion of the cost of care that you are responsible for through co-pays, deductibles and co-insurance. Insurance providers typically define the maximum amount that a patient will pay in a given benefit year.
- Quality of care: At Rush we pride ourselves in providing you with the high-quality care, and we invest in the resources we need to ensure that you receive the best care possible. Rush is consistently recognized for quality and safety and was recently ranked No. 2 in the country among 99 leading academic medical centers in a study by Vizient, a health care services company.
We’re here to help
While we are committed to sharing our standard charges, we also know that you may have questions about the cost of care you receive at Rush.
That’s why our dedicated financial counselors are available to explain our prices, help you determine an estimated cost for your care and answer any other questions. You can contact our financial counselors at (312) 942-5967, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The following publications, developed by the Healthcare Financial Management Association, may also help you better understand the standard charges:
- Avoiding Surprises in Your Medical Bills, available in English and Spanish.
- Understanding Healthcare Prices: A Consumer Guide, available in English and Spanish.
As part of Rush’s mission to provide comprehensive, coordinated health care to our patients, we offer several financial assistance programs to help patients who are uninsured or who may have difficulty paying balances due after insurance.
Learn more about financial assistance services at Rush University Medical Center.