The RUSH Approach to Psychiatry and Psychology
When you come to RUSH for mental or behavioral health care, you won't be judged. You'll be listened to and cared for by some of the most experienced providers in Chicago:
- Psychiatrists, who can diagnose your condition and help you find medications and other treatments that work for you. (Psychiatrists are medical doctors who can prescribe medication.)
- Psychologists, who can diagnose your condition and provide psychotherapy. Psychologists at RUSH offer several types of psychotherapy, including cognitive-behavioral therapy. (Psychologists aren't medical doctors. They have PhD or PsyD degrees in psychology and extensive training as therapists.)
- Social workers, who will connect you with support groups and other community resources to help you heal and thrive. As trained therapists, some of our social workers also offer psychotherapy.
Our team diagnoses and treats all types of mental and behavioral disorders. We can also help you prepare for a medical procedure, adjust to a medical condition or cope with life events.
In most cases, we find that patients do best when they combine psychotherapy with medication or another treatment. (This means working with both a therapist and a psychiatrist.) But many patients find relief with psychotherapy or medication alone.
Ready to get started?
It's OK if you don't know where to start. When you call the psychiatry and psychology team at (312) 942-5375, we can figure out which provider best meets your needs.
Whoever you meet with first, you'll have access to our whole team's expertise. If your psychiatrist thinks you may benefit from therapy, they'll connect you to a trusted psychologist. Or if your psychologist thinks you may benefit from medication or another treatment, they'll connect you with a trusted psychiatrist.
Our Areas of Care
Whatever substance use or impulse control disorder you're dealing with, our compassionate team can offer research-proven methods to help you get your life back.
From medications and therapy to newer options, we can help with any anxiety or mood disorder.
RUSH is the only health system in Chicago with an autism center that treats children and adults.
Couples therapy — including marriage counseling and sex therapy — to help with communication, conflict resolution, infidelity and more.
Forensic psychiatrists at RUSH serve as expert witnesses and consult on civil and criminal cases dealing with child custody, criminal competence and more.
Expert care for people 60 and older who are coping with anxiety, depression and mental health conditions related to aging or chronic illness.
Inpatient and outpatient care for anxiety, depression and other mental health conditions that interfere with your relationships or daily life.
Social workers at RUSH ensure you have what you need to manage your health and lead a fulfilling life.
Care for veterans and veterans' families coping with the invisible wounds of war, including post-traumatic stress disorder, military sexual trauma and more.
Treatment for anxiety and depression linked to pregnancy, infertility, trauma and other reproductive and sexual health issues.
Counseling and therapy to help you make the lifestyle changes you want to make.
RUSH Excellence in Psychiatry and Psychology
- Leaders in treatment-resistant depression: About 40% of people with depression don't get better with medications and psychotherapy. If this includes you, you can still find help at RUSH. Our team has pioneered new treatments that actually help with treatment-resistant depression. These include esketamine (Spravato) nasal spray, transcranial magnetic stimulation and electroconvulsive therapy (ECT).
- Help coping with a new diagnosis or a chronic condition: Our team has special expertise in health psychology and rehabilitation psychology. That means we can help you learn strategies for coping with illness or disability in yourself or a loved one. Whether you're dealing with diabetes, chronic pain, injury or another problem, these strategies can help you live a fulfilling life.
- Expertise for your specific concern: Many of our team members focus exclusively on a specific condition or type of condition. For example, our addiction care team researches and treats only addiction. Our women's behavioral and mental health care team focuses only on helping people cope with reproductive and sexual health issues. And so on. Because we help so many different patients with the same conditions, we understand which treatments work in which situations. We'll use this expertise to find the best treatment for you.
- Intensive care for those who need it: The RUSH Day Hospital offers partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient programs designed for people in significant mental distress. These programs help you or your loved ones get intensive all-day or half-day care without having to stay in the hospital.