Rush neurologists and neurosurgeons are driven to find safer, more effective ways to treat conditions of the brain, spine and nerves.
Among the Best in the U.S. for Neurology and Neurosurgery
U.S. News & World Report ranked Rush University Medical Center No. 3 in the country and best in Illinois for neurology and neurosurgery. Rush Copley Medical Center was also recognized as high-performing for spinal fusion and stroke.
The Rush Approach to Neurosciences
We understand that issues that affect your brain, spine and nerves have a profound effect on your quality of life.
That's why Rush neurologists and neurosurgeons are driven to find safer and more effective ways to treat these conditions.
And although we're constantly researching new ways to treat neurologic conditions in the future, we never lose sight of the fact that you need care today. For many of our services, we can meet with patients within one to two weeks — or find you a provider at another Rush location who can.
Our Areas of Care
Surgery for full range of neurological conditions, including epilepsy, Parkinson's disease and brain tumors.
Treatment for all types of brain cancer, including glioma, glioblastoma and other brain tumors.
Treatment of concussion and traumatic brain injury, or TBI.
Diagnosis for memory loss and all types of dementia, including Lewy body dementia and Alzheimer's disease.
Medical treatment and surgery for seizures and epilepsy, including LITT and vagus nerve stimulation.
Diagnosis and treatment of full range of neurological conditions.
Treatment for Huntington's disease, including genetic testing and counseling.
Treatment for all types of multiple sclerosis (MS), including relapsing-remitting MS and primary progressive MS.
In-hospital care for emergencies such as stroke, brain infection or brain injury.
Treatment for infections of the brain, spine and nerves, including from progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) and HIV associated neurocognitive disorder.
Treatment for ALS, myasthenia gravis, muscular dystrophy, neuropathy and other neuromuscular diseases.
Treatment for issues that affect your eyes, including optic neuritis, because of other neurological conditions.
Treatment for Parkinson's disease, dystonia, Tourette syndrome and other movement disorders.
Surgery for tumors at the base of your skull, such as acoustic neuroma, pituitary tumors or sinus cancer.
Medical, rehab and spine surgery services for neck and back pain, scoliosis, sciatica, spinal stenosis and more.
Treatment for stroke, TIA, brain aneurysm, AVM and other cerebrovascular diseases.
Rush Excellence in Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Neurosciences experience and expertise: Rush neurologists and neurosurgeons meet with thousands of patients a year; this high volume experience means there are very few neuroscience conditions they haven't diagnosed and treated before. They bring that expertise to your treatment — drawing on what they have seen work well in similar situations.
- Personalized care for you: Rush neurology and neurosurgeon providers tailor your treatment to your needs. They know that neurologic conditions can significantly affect your ability to live your life the way you want, so they listen to you to understand your needs and goals. In this way, they can find a solution that will be the best fit for you medically, as well as personally.
- General neurologists across multiple locations: General neurologists will typically be your first point of contact for neurology care within the Rush System. Often, this level of care will be appropriate for your condition, such as for migraine, neuropathy, concussion and ongoing dementia care. That's why Rush has general neurologists at multiple locations in Chicago, Oak Park and Aurora/Fox Valley.
- Subspecialty focus: You may benefit from care by a team that focuses on one condition or group of conditions (known as subspecialists) if your condition is advanced or difficult to treat. Rush makes it easier to see subspecialists with locations across Chicago and the western suburbs, plus telemedicine (virtual) visits. For example, we have movement disorders specialists in Chicago, Oak Park, Oak Brook and Aurora/Fox Valley. And, we have epilepsy and neuromuscular specialists in Chicago and Oak Brook.
- Recognized for excellence in spine surgery: Rush University Medical Center has been designated as a Blue Distinction Center for Spine Surgery. This designation recognizes Rush’s commitment to high-quality care, patient safety and providing the best possible outcomes for our spine surgery patients. It also reflects our expertise with cervical and lumbar fusion, cervical laminectomy and lumbar laminectomy/discectomy procedures, which contributes to fewer complications and readmissions compared to other facilities.
- Investing in your safety: We always look for new ways to make your care as safe as possible. As one example, Rush University Medical Center is the first in Chicago to use a robotic system during diagnostic cerebral angiograms. This new system gives neurosurgeons greater visibility within the brain and allows them to more precisely position stents when they are needed—all of which translates to greater safety for you.