When you or your loved ones are facing a health crisis, you may feel helpless, confused and lonely. The pastoral services team at Rush can help you sort through your emotions and find the spiritual strength you need to get through these difficult times.
Chaplains and faiths
Our chaplains serve all faiths and help patients and their families access the resources they need to carry out their own spirituality or religious traditions in the process of healing. None of our chaplains works exclusively with one religion.
Our chaplains represent the following faiths:
- Roman Catholic
- Various other denominations
Chaplains are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To see a chaplain, call (312) 942-5571.
Healing your mind, body and spirit
Our chaplains provide comfort and spiritual guidance to patients and their families through the following services:
- Offering support in times of stress, crisis or death
- Lending spiritual guidance for important end-of-life or ethical decisions
- Performing religious sacraments or end-of-life rituals
- Encouraging patients to embrace their spiritual strengths to promote healing
- Counseling patients and their loved ones to help them deal with difficult emotions
- Helping people access the resources they need to carry out their own spirituality or religious traditions in the process of healing
The J. Hall Taylor Memorial Chapel is a comforting space available to anyone seeking solace. The chapel also hosts religious services and special events.
It is located on the first floor of the Kellogg Building, near elevator C. It is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The meditation room is a warm, non-denominational space for you to meditate and contemplate quietly.
It is located in the Atrium in Room 405 (next to the Au Bon Pain). It is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Religious services and prayer groups
Rush offers the following services and broadcasts them in all patient rooms on channel 15:
- Episcopal mass: Sundays, 9 a.m., in the chapel
- Jumuah prayers: Fridays, 1 p.m., Armour Academic Center (600 S. Paulina St.). The room number often changes, so please call (312) 942-5571 for the location.
- Roman Catholic mass: Sundays, 5 p.m., in the chapel
Rush also offers the following spiritual programs:
- Bible study: Wednesdays, 12:10 p.m., in the chapel, and the second and third Sunday of each month, 1 p.m., in the chapel
- Prayer group: Thursdays, 5 p.m., in the chapel
- Guided meditation: Thursdays, 12 p.m., in the meditation room