When your loved one is undergoing a procedure, it can be a stressful time. Our four Smith Family Lounges located on the following floors of the Tower are designed for your comfort:
- 4th floor lounge: (312) 947-0438
- 5th floor lounge: (312) 947-5504
- 5th floor Atrium lounge: (312) 942-2065
- 7th floor lounge: (312) 947-7701
The guest relations associate at any hospital information desk will direct you to the correct lounge after you check in. The lounges are open Monday through Friday, from 5 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The 5th floor lounge in the Tower is open until 8 p.m.
- Comfortable seating areas
- Wireless Internet access
Find out your loved one’s status
The Smith Family Lounges offer a number of ways for you to stay informed on how your loved ones are doing before, during and after their procedures.
- Patient status boards: Computer monitors are set up in all four lounges to help you monitor your loved one’s progress. To protect privacy, the boards use a randomly assigned number to identify each patient.
- Cell phone or pager: When you check in, please give a guest relations associate your cell phone number. This allows a member of the patient’s surgical team to contact you, if needed. If you do not have a cell phone, a guest relations associate will give you a pager.
- Patient family liaison: Our patient family liaisons come to the family waiting rooms every two hours to update you on the patient’s status. If you need a status update before the liaison arrives, please ask the guest relations associate in the Smith Family Lounge to contact the patient family liaison.
Smith Family Lounge policies
- Please let the guest relations associates know if you need to leave the lounge while your loved one is having a procedure, and let them know when you’ve returned. This will help them make sure you get any information you need about your loved one.
- Please return your pager to the guest relations associate at the end of your stay in the lounge.
- Please limit your group to six visitors per patient in the Smith Family Lounge. If you need additional space or if your loved one is undergoing a lengthy procedure, talk to a guest relations associate in the lounge about available private family rooms or alternative locations.
Other waiting areas
- Lobby area outside of Au Bon Pain, located on the fourth floor of the Atrium.
- The Shirley and Richard Jaffee Family Garden, a public outdoor garden located on the fourth floor of the Tower.
- Quiet area on the fourth floor of the Tower, located on the north side of the building by the Jaffe Garden.
These three areas do not have patient status boards, so be sure to check the patient’s status in one of the Smith Family Lounges.
Patient discharge lounge
Located on the fourth floor of the Tower across from the information desk, the patient discharge lounge is a comfortable space for patients who have been discharged from the hospital, but need to wait for transportation or delivery of medications. The lounge has snacks, a television and other amenities. A patient care technician is also available to assist with any concerns, such as scheduling follow-up appointments or making prescription arrangements.
The lounge is open Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. For more information, call (312) 947-4429.