When you suffer a bone fracture — a break or crack — from a fall, accident or while playing a sport, getting the right care is essential. Simple fractures can sometimes be treated in the emergency room or by a general orthopedic surgeon. But complex injuries are best treated by dedicated fracture specialist, like the fellowship-trained orthopedic trauma expert at Rush.
Whether you have a new injury, or you're suffering complications from an old injury, we're here to help. Our Orthopedic Trauma Program offers advanced, comprehensive care for the following:
- Significant injuries with multiple broken bones (polytrauma)
- Open (compound) fractures
- Fractures in or near joints (peri-articular fractures)
- Fractures of the pelvis or hip socket (acetabulum)
- Fractures that don't heal (nonunions)
- Fractures that heal in an abnormal or crooked position (malunions)
- Bone infections (osteomyelitis)
- Post-traumatic arthritis — a type of osteoarthritis caused by the wearing out of a joint that sustained a traumatic injury
We can typically see patients within 24 hours of calling for an appointment, so we can quickly assess the injury and get a customized treatment plan in place, including consultations with additional orthopedic or other specialists if needed.
Advanced treatments to restore quality of life
At Rush, we strive to eliminate your pain and help you return to the lifestyle and activities you enjoyed before your injury. We offer a full range of nonsurgical and leading-edge surgical treatments, including the following:
- Minimally invasive surgery for fractures
- Repair of nonunions
- Re-alignment of malunions
- Pelvis and acetabulum surgery
- Limb lengthening
- Bone and joint transplantation
- Minimally invasive bone grafting
- Complex soft tissue reconstruction
- Complex upper extremity reconstruction
It's a level of orthopedic trauma expertise you'll find at only a handful of hospitals in the country — and the care you can trust to help you heal.
Nationally recognized for excellence
Rush University Medical Center is ranked No. 7 in the nation for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report, with internationally respected orthopedic specialists whose research discoveries and innovative treatment approaches are helping patients at Rush — and around the globe.