The Rush hip preservation team offers rapid diagnosis and comprehensive treatment to relieve hip pain and help you avoid hip replacement surgery.
Among the Best in the U.S. for Orthopedic Care
U.S. News & World Report ranked RUSH University Medical Center No. 5 in the nation and best in Illinois for orthopedics. RUSH Copley Medical Center was also recognized as high-performing for hip fracture and knee replacement.
The Rush Approach to Hip Preservation
The hip is an incredibly complex joint. So when your hip hurts, it's difficult to know exactly what’s wrong. All you know is that the pain is keeping you from leading an active life.
Rush hip experts are committed to easing your pain and restoring as much function as possible. Untreated hip problems like dysplasia, labral tears, synovial tears, cartilage injuries, bursitis and tendonitis can lead to arthritis and, ultimately, a hip replacement. If we can address the issue before it progresses to arthritis, we can help you avoid or postpone hip replacement surgery.
You may not be aware that pain from hip-related conditions is often felt in the groin, not the hip. If you're like many of our patients, you may already have seen a gynecologist, urologist or other specialist for persistent groin pain not realizing that it was actually related to a hip issue.
We encourage you to see a Rush hip expert for any severe, persistent hip or groin pain. Our expertise enables us to quickly get to the root of your pain and effectively address it, so you can get back to doing all the activities you enjoy.
We also treat hip defects in infants and children, including congenital dysplasia and congenital dislocation. It's important to address these issues early because they will worsen as your child grows.
Rush Excellence in Hip Preservation
- We partner with you: Our team of sports medicine surgeons, pediatric orthopedic surgeons, orthopedic trauma surgeons, rehabilitation specialists and physical therapists is focused on giving you the best possible care. To ensure that you are confident in your treatment, we'll fully involve you in the decision-making process. We discuss your options based on the best evidence available — what current research and our own experience tell us will work best — and help you choose the approach that's right for you based on your personal goals.
- Surgical expertise: At Rush, you're in the hands of some of the nation's most experienced hip preservation surgeons — and that may mean you don't actually need surgery. Were able to look at data from thousands of patients to determine whether a specific procedure is likely to help you based on past successes. And we only operate if we are confident surgery will improve your pain, function or quality of life.
- Leaders in hip research: Our hip specialists are engaged in innovative research to advance treatment for hip conditions and injuries, helping our patients achieve better surgical results. For instance, by taking the extra step to stabilize the hip joint during surgery, Rush University Medical Center hip surgeons have been able to reduce our patients' need for revision surgery or subsequent hip replacement after five years from 36% to 3%.
- On-site physical therapy: Physical therapy is a crucial part of pre- and post-surgical hip care at Rush, helping to strengthen muscles, increase flexibility and maintain range of motion of the joint. Although it can't cure certain issues, in some cases it can relieve pain enough to avoid or delay surgery. We offer physical therapy services at all of our locations for your convenience.
- Access to other Rush orthopedic specialists: We want to make sure you get the right treatment for your condition. If we can't effectively treat you, we'll refer you to another orthopedic specialist who can. If you have arthritis and need hip replacement, you'll receive the highest quality of care from the experienced joint replacement surgeons at our Rush hospitals. Rush also has a dedicated orthopedic trauma surgeon at Rush University Medical Center who can provide care for even the most complex conditions.