Rush offers joint replacement for the hip, knee, shoulder, elbow, wrist, hand and ankle. We customize care to help you feel and function better.
Among the Best in the U.S. for Joint Replacement Surgery
U.S. News & World Report ranked RUSH University Medical Center No. 5 in the nation and best in Illinois for orthopedics. RUSH Copley Medical Center was also recognized as high-performing for hip fracture and knee replacement.
The Rush Approach to Joint Replacement
At Rush, we understand that severe joint pain can affect your ability to do even the most basic tasks. In many cases, replacing the damaged joint with an artificial implant can help you feel and function better.
If you need a hip replacement, knee replacement or joint replacement in the shoulder, elbow, wrist, hand, ankle or foot, Rush experts are here to help you.
Our goal is to get you back to your life. We offer the latest in total joint replacement, partial joint replacement and resurfacing, including minimally invasive approaches that our surgeons helped develop. We're also a leader in revision surgery, treating a large number of patients whose prior joint replacements have become painful or failed.
Even though we see a lot of patients, we never take a cookie-cutter approach to joint replacement. Each patient is unique, and each joint has unique characteristics. We use our expertise to inform and customize every aspect of your care. So you can recover as quickly, safely and comfortably as possible and enjoy lasting results.
Rush Excellence in Joint Replacement Surgery
- Nationally ranked excellence: U.S. News & World Report rated Rush University Medical Center and Rush Copley Medical Center high performing (the highest possible rating) for hip replacement and knee replacement. These ratings reflect how well hospitals perform these procedures with the full range of cases, from common to complex.
- Higher volumes for better outcomes: Orthopedic surgeons at our Rush hospitals have collectively performed tens of thousands of joint replacements — the most in Illinois and among the most in the Midwest. Research shows that when hospitals and surgeons perform more of these procedures, patients have better outcomes, including fewer complications.
- Advancing care: Rush joint replacement surgeons have helped transform how hip and knee replacements are performed by continually asking themselves: What can we do to improve our patients' quality of life? That question has inspired many Rush hip and knee replacement innovations — including patient-specific surgical instruments, minimally invasive surgical techniques and more durable implants — that can help you enjoy longer-lasting results.
- Robotic hip and knee replacement: Surgeons at Rush University Medical Center offer robotic-assisted hip replacement and knee replacement. Robotic technology enables our team to create a personalized surgical plan, including the optimal size, placement and positioning of your implant. And by giving your surgeon real-time data so they can make any necessary adjustments during your surgery, the robotic system also helps ensure more accurate bone removal and implant insertion, which can give you better long-term results and greater satisfaction with the procedure.
- A team approach: When it comes to joint replacement, it's important to have both highly skilled surgeons and coordinated, collaborative care. That's exactly what you can expect from Rush. Your Rush joint replacement team includes board-certified orthopedic surgeons, plus specialty nurses, rehabilitation therapists, anesthesiologists and pain management specialists — all working together to give you the best possible results and positive experience.
- Detailed planning to help you recover: Your customized treatment plan will include more than just the actual procedure. Our team provides comprehensive pre-surgical education so you know what to expect during and after surgery. And we use processes and strategies to minimize pain and opioid use, improve your mobility, shorten your hospital stay, reduce infections and other surgical complications, and help you avoid revision procedures in the future.
- Leaders on a national scale: Our joint replacement surgeons are among the nation's premier thought leaders and researchers. They have published thousands of papers, co-written and edited dozens of text books, and presented their research at conferences around the world. Our surgeons have also held leadership positions with a number of prestigious national organizations, including past presidents of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons.