Rush spine and back specialists are focused on relieving pain and restoring mobility, with expertise treating even the most complex conditions and injuries.
Among the Best in the U.S. for Neurosurgery and Orthopedic Care
U.S. News & World Report ranked Rush University Medical Center No. 4 in the nation for neurology and neurosurgery, and No. 5 in the nation for orthopedics. Both programs are also ranked best in Illinois.
The Rush Approach to Spine and Back Care
If you have back pain or neck pain, or an issue with your spine that's causing persistent or severe symptoms, you don’t have to suffer. In fact, it's important to get treatment as soon as possible so the problem — and your pain — doesn't get worse.
Rush’s spine and back team has the expertise to help you feel and function better.
At Rush, you can receive prompt, comprehensive care for every spine and back issue — from common issues like muscle strains and herniated discs to the most complex spinal deformities and spine tumors. Our spine experts are also trusted sources for second opinions if you want to confirm your diagnosis or a prior treatment recommendation.
We'll thoroughly evaluate and diagnose your condition before discussing your treatment options with you. Our team will then create a custom treatment plan to help meet your personal needs and goals.
Rush Excellence in Spine and Back Care
- Prompt evaluation: We understand that when your back or neck hurts, you want relief as soon as possible. And we don't want you to have to wait any longer than necessary. You can see a member of our spine team for an initial consultation or second opinion within one to two weeks of calling — and within a few days for more urgent issues like a spinal tumor or paralysis. Being able to get a diagnosis sooner will enable you to start treatment, and start feeling better, sooner.
- Aligning your care with your needs: Our team focuses exclusively on diagnosing and treating spine, back and neck issues. This expertise helps us ensure that you receive the right treatment from the right providers at the right time, which is the key to achieving a good outcome. And whatever treatments you need, we'll help coordinate them, including scheduling imaging tests, surgery and other appointments.
- Comprehensive nonsurgical spine and back care: People often avoid seeking help for spine, back or neck problems because they're afraid of having surgery. But we can effectively treat many issues or delay the need for surgery with conservative approaches such as physical therapy, epidural injections, back joint injections and nerve blocks. We may also recommend lifestyle changes (exercise, diet modifications, quitting smoking) and psychosocial support to improve both symptoms and your overall health.
- Surgical expertise, including minimally invasive spine surgery: If surgery is the right option for you, we want you to feel reassured that everything will go smoothly. Rush is a leader in minimally invasive spine surgery. Our surgical team is committed to giving you the best possible results and a seamless experience. That includes performing most procedures, including fusion and disc replacement, using less invasive approaches and less narcotic pain medication.
- Spine and back care close to home: For your convenience, you can receive spine and back care at multiple locations across the Rush System. And all of our locations offer on-site physical therapy, so your therapist is able to easily communicate with your doctor if issues arise or you need adjustments.