Rush provides the highest level of care for shoulder, elbow, hip and knee injuries and conditions, including arthroscopic surgery and cartilage restoration.
Among the Best in the U.S. for Orthopedic Care
U.S. News & World Report ranked Rush University Medical Center No. 5 in the nation and best in Illinois for orthopedics.
The Rush Approach to Sports Medicine
You don't have to play a sport to receive care from Rush's sports medicine program. We treat people of all ages and levels of fitness, from weekend warriors to world-class athletes.
Our team of primary care sports medicine specialists, surgeons and physiatrists/pain management specialists diagnose and treat the full range of shoulder, elbow, hip and knee injuries, abnormalities and degenerative conditions. So you can get back to leading an active, healthy life.
At Rush, we focus on relieving your pain and restoring function, whether you're suffering from tennis elbow, cartilage damage, a stress fracture, a torn ligament or another problem. We have experience addressing the most complicated conditions and injuries, so we are often able to provide answers when others can’t.
Rush Excellence in Sports Medicine
- Comprehensive nonsurgical care: Rush sports medicine providers specialize in helping our patients avoid or delay surgery, using regenerative medicine and nonsurgical therapies whenever possible. In fact, Rush doctors are recognized for their role in developing and testing biologic treatments like platelet-rich plasma and stem cell therapy to reduce pain and help patients heal faster.
- Surgical expertise: If you do need surgery, you're in the best possible hands at Rush. Rush sports medicine surgeons are recognized leaders in arthroscopic and minimally invasive knee, hip, elbow and shoulder surgeries — which help you go home sooner and recover faster. But you can also feel confident knowing that our surgeons will never recommend surgery unless it truly is the right option for you. If your issue can't be effectively treated with surgery, we'll talk to you about other ways we can address it. And you'll have a lot of options at Rush because of the research our doctors are doing to advance care for a wide range of conditions and injuries.
- World-class care for athletes at all levels: Rush sports medicine specialists are committed to helping recreational and competitive athletes return to peak performance after injuries. The Chicago Bulls, Chicago White Sox, Chicago Fire, Joffrey Ballet, U.S soccer and rugby, and many local colleges and high schools trust our team to provide the highest quality of care for their athletes. You can expect the same star treatment when you come to Rush — including expert diagnosis, advanced treatments and a smoothly coordinated process.
- Specialized care for female athletes: The Women’s Sports Medicine Program at Rush is dedicated to helping women achieve optimal health and exercise performance, whether you are a competitive athlete, a weekend warrior or just enjoy being active. Our women’s sports medicine experts evaluate and treat everything from sports injuries to pelvic floor issues like prolapse. We also offer education and conditioning to help you stay healthy and prevent injury.
- Advanced training to optimize performance: Our Return to Activity Programs and Sports Performance centers will help you enhance athletic performance, return to sport after an injury and prevent future injuries. These advanced training programs are designed to improve your strength, power, flexibility, range of motion and conditioning. They are available to anyone (you don't have to be a Rush patient) with a physician referral for an out-of-pocket fee.