The Rush Employee Volunteer Program (EVP) supports volunteer activities that enhance and serve the communities where RUSH employees work and live. As an anchor institution on Chicago's West Side, Rush has made a highly visible commitment to working closely with the communities near RUSH University Medical Center and RUSH Oak Park Hospital to address social conditions that contribute to poor health outcomes for residents. Part of our Anchor Mission Strategy includes providing a way for Rush employees to volunteer in these communities.
This program creates service and community engagement opportunities that are meaningful and purposeful, and help those in need to align with our organizational strategy and Community Health Implementation Plan. We specifically seek to address issues that improve health, well-being and quality of life for our neighbors, and to provide volunteer opportunities that enrich and inspire our employees.
Employee Volunteer Program Benefits
- Providing needed services in our neighboring communities
- Helping employees become more familiar with these communities and their residents
- Strengthening Rush's culture of giving back
- Boosting employee engagement and retention
Upcoming Short-Term Volunteer Opportunities
Short-term volunteering allows employees and students the opportunity, to volunteer in-person within the catchment communities that surround RUSH University Medical Center and RUSH Oak Park Hospital. A small act of volunteering, especially in these challenging times, can make a world of difference.
- Food distribution: Distribute food in the community to residents on Chicago’s West Side.
- Beautification projects
- Food Is Medicine – Veggie Rx (repackaging produce and restocking shelves) – ServSafe certification needed
- Activities with senior population
- Cooking demos
- Health and wellness challenge
- Mental health first aid trainings/facilitation
- Rush Education and Career Hub Experiences
- Social determinants of health screenings
- Lunch and learn workshops
- Community health implementation plan campaign
- Guest speaking
- Career Day event
- RUSH University Medical Center or RUSH Oak Park Hospital employee
- Complete our form, including the waiver
- Manager/supervisor approval
- Willingness to invite a colleague to volunteer in the community
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Leoshay Dobbs, program coordinator, or Julia Bassett, system manager.