World-renowned surgeons at Rush offer gender-affirming surgeries, including top surgery, bottom surgery and other procedures.
If you want to explore gender-affirming surgical treatments, you can choose from a wide range of state-of-the-art-procedures at Rush, performed by physicians who are global leaders in the field.
We care for the whole person by providing expert, personalized care in a sensitive and safe environment. We work closely with you and your other providers to develop a plan that fits your needs, and to make sure that your care is seamlessly coordinated to make the process as easy as possible for you.
Our team’s work centers around one goal: helping you attain lasting comfort with your whole self, so you can achieve your best possible health and well-being.
Gender-Affirming Procedures at Rush
We offer a full range of options, including surgical and nonsurgical procedures. Your custom plan might include one or more of the following.
- Body sculpting, including tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and liposuction with fat grafting/lipofilling
- Breast augmentation
- Buttock augmentation
- Facial feminization and masculinization procedures, including the following:
- Genitourinary reconstruction (congenital, traumatic and oncologic)
- Hysterectomy (removal of the uterus) and/or oophorectomy (removal of the ovaries), both performed with a gynecologist
- Penile construction surgery, including the following:
- Abdominal flap
- Groin flap (also known as SCIP flap)
- Metoidioplasty, with and without urethral lengthening
- Phalloplasty, including radial forearm flap (RFAFF) and anterolateral thigh flap (ALT) microsurgical procedures that maximize sensation and function
- Orchiectomy (removal of one or both testicles)
- Penile implants (performed with a urologist), including the following:
- Semi-rigid/malleable implants
- Two- and three-piece inflatable implants
- Scrotoplasty and testicular implants
- Top surgery and chest contouring, including the following:
- Double incision with nipple grafts
- Periareolar and keyhole incisions
- Liposuction if needed
- Tracheal shave (Adam’s apple reduction)
- Vaginoplasty, including the following:
- Inversion vaginoplasty
- Intestinal vaginoplasty
- Peritoneal vaginoplasty
- Revision vaginoplasty
Rush Excellence in Gender Affirmation Surgery
- Leading the field in gender-affirming care: All three Rush hospitals are designated as Leaders in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality by the Healthcare Equality Index. Our lead surgeon is on the board of Directors of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) and is a founding member and president-elect of the American Society of Gender Surgeons. And another of our surgeons performed one of the world's first modern facial feminization surgeries.
- Advanced techniques for optimal appearance and function: Gender affirmation surgery is a rapidly evolving field. Rush surgeons are pioneers in adopting and developing new surgical techniques that give you the best, most functional results for the long term — and they stay up to date on all of the latest advances.
- Comprehensive care in a welcoming environment: Through Affirm: The Rush Center for Gender, Sexuality & Reproductive Health, we create a seamless experience for you by working in close collaboration with our colleagues across Rush, including those in endocrinology, urology, physical therapy, behavioral health and other specialties.
- Convenient locations for procedures and follow-up: Our team performs complex surgical procedures at Rush University Medical Center. But you can schedule pre-procedure consultations and follow-up appointments at other Rush locations in the city and suburbs if they're more convenient for you.