Rush is a safe, welcoming space that offers a full range of clinical and supportive services from providers who specialize in gender identity.
A Leader in Health Care Equity
Rush University Medical Center, Rush Oak Park Hospital and Rush Copley Medical Center are all designated Leaders in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality by the Healthcare Equality Index (HEI), an annual survey of equity and inclusion for LGBTQ+ patients, families and employees at health care facilities in the United States.
The Rush Approach to Gender-Affirming Care
At Rush, we respect gender diversity. We understand that gender isn't restricted to binary roles of male and female. And we know how important aligning your gender identity and your body is to your health and well-being.
Rush offers gender-affirming care to people who are transgender and gender diverse (gender non-conforming, nonbinary, genderqueer). We provide a full range of services — including gender-affirming surgery, hair removal, Botox and fillers, hormone therapy, voice therapy and other nonsurgical options.
We also know that everyone’s gender journey is different. Our dedicated patient navigators will help you determine the right services and providers for you. They’ll then help connect you with Rush providers and coordinate your care, so you have a seamless experience.
Rush Excellence in Gender-Affirming Care
- Cultural commitment: Rush is a safe, welcoming, inclusive space. Every member of our team is committed to providing respectful, competent gender-affirming care. We maintain a culture of respect, inclusion and equal treatment for patients, students, employees and visitors. In fact, some patients have shared that Rush is the first place where they felt safe expressing their gender authentically.
- Comprehensive gender-affirming surgery: Our gender-affirming surgery program offers the full range of gender-affirming surgical procedures. This includes facial feminization surgery, facial masculinization surgery, top surgery and bottom surgery (e.g., phalloplasty, metoidioplasty and vaginoplasty).
- National leader in gender-affirming care: Our highly experienced team is led by Rush plastic surgeon Loren Schechter, MD, a national and international leader in gender-affirming care. He has more than 20 years of experience and helped developed the standards of care for transgender and gender-diverse people through the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH).
- Nonsurgical gender-affirming treatment options: Rush also offers nonsurgical gender-affirming therapies. We provide hormone therapy, voice and speech therapy, physical therapy and behavioral therapy.
- A multidisciplinary team of specialists: At Rush, gender-affirming care incorporates all of your health care needs. That’s why we bring together a collaborative team to provide you with comprehensive care. Your care team may include specialists from primary care, endocrinology, plastic surgery, urology, urogynecology, OB-GYN, colorectal surgery and others.
- Insurance guidance: Although insurance coverage for gender-affirming care services continues to expand, we will help navigate any barriers. Our experienced team will help determine insurance requirements. This may include coordinating a gender dysphoria assessment or letters of readiness for gender affirmation surgery. They’ll work with your providers to ensure you can get the care you need.
- Comprehensive affirming care: Affirm: The Rush Center for Gender, Sexuality and Reproductive Health connects people who identify as LGBTQ+ to the full spectrum of health care services. This can range from everyday primary care to more complex health care needs. Our team helps coordinate care and bridge gaps so you can receive the care you need when you need it.