A breast cancer diagnosis can be life-changing. At Rush you’ll find services and staff to care for and support you at each stage of breast cancer treatment.
Among the Best in the U.S. for Cancer Care
U.S. News & World Report ranked RUSH University Medical Center among the best in the nation for cancer care.
The Rush Approach to Breast Cancer Care
At Rush, we know every woman’s breast cancer experience is unique. That's why our breast cancer specialists start by getting to know you — getting a full picture of your overall health, family history, lifestyle and health needs.
You'll also have a chance to ask the questions you likely have. And your team will walk you through the risks and benefits of treatments, which may include breast surgery (mastectomy, lumpectomy), chemotherapy, radiation therapy or breast reconstruction. At Rush you'll also have access to advanced treatments like targeted therapies and clinical trials looking at new ways to treat breast cancer.
You will also have a patient navigator who will help you through every step of your breast cancer diagnosis and treatment. Your navigator will help you coordinate your appointments, answer your questions and connect you with resources you may need.
Rush Excellence in Breast Cancer Care
- Multiple specialists, one appointment: You may receive care through The Coleman Foundation Comprehensive Breast Cancer Clinic at Rush University Medical Center. In this clinic, you’ll meet with your breast cancer care team — which may include your medical oncologist, radiation oncologist, breast surgeon, plastic and reconstructive surgeon and nurse coordinator — together in a single visit.
- Reducing chemotherapy-related hair loss: If you need chemotherapy for breast cancer, you may have access to innovative scalp cooling technology that combats hair loss from treatment. Studies have found that patients who used the scalp cooling cap were able to keep the majority of their hair during treatment.
- Supportive oncology care: At Rush University Medical Center and Rush Copley Medical Center you'll have access to supportive care services to help you through treatment. This includes acupuncture, massage, yoga, psychosocial counseling, lymphedema management, nutritional counseling, financial counseling and more. Waterford Place Resource Center in Aurora offers a wide range of services free of charge to anyone who has been diagnosed with cancer.
- Expert care close to you: We make it easy for you to get the breast cancer care you need close to home. Our breast cancer providers are available in a number of locations in Chicago and the suburbs. We also have infusion centers in Chicago, Oak Park, Lisle and Aurora.
- Advanced breast reconstruction options: Our specially trained plastic and reconstructive surgeons work hand-in-hand with our breast surgeons to give you the most advanced options including lumpectomy (breast conserving surgery), mastectomy and breast reconstruction.
- Supporting your continued health after treatment: In addition to support services available during treatment, Rush also offers services to alleviate side effects you may experience after treatment. This includes a new vaginal laser treatment called MonaLisa Touch, which can help with vaginal dryness and painful intercourse. Your care at Rush doesn’t stop at the end of treatment — we’re here to support you long-term.