The most common forms of breast cancer are ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) and invasive carcinoma.
Breast cancer is typically detected by breast self exams or regular mammography. Regular mammograms and breast self exams can help detect breast cancer early when it is most treatable and most curable.
Breast Cancer Symptoms
If you notice any of these symptoms, see your doctor right away:
- A lump near or in the breast or underarm
- Unexplained swelling of the breast
- Skin irritation or changes
- A nipple that has become sunken (inverted)
- Nipple discharge
Rush Excellence in Breast Cancer Care
- Nationally ranked experts focused on you: Our cancer specialists are ranked among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. They welcome your questions and will work with you to create a personalized treatment plan to improve your quality of life and well-being.
- Access to leading-edge treatments: At Rush, you'll have access to treatment you won't find elsewhere through a number of clinical trials that are looking into new ways to fight breast cancer.
- Care where — and when — you need it: Breast cancer treatment requires regular visits, many weekly. Once treatment is over, you may also require lifelong follow-up care. Our breast cancer specialists will meet you closer to home at convenient locations, including Chicago, Lisle, Oak Park and Aurora/Fox Valley.
- Monitoring your heart health during treatment: At Rush University Medical Center, our breast cancer team includes a cardio-oncologist. This is a heart expert who specializes in monitoring your heart health during your chemo and radiation therapy and after you finish cancer treatment.
- Cold cap for chemo: Losing your hair during breast cancer treatment can be devastating. That's why Rush offers cold cap therapy (also known as cooling cap or scalp cooling) to reduce your chances of losing your hair during chemotherapy.
- Breast imaging centers of excellence: Rush's five breast imaging centers are designated as centers of excellence by the American College of Radiology. This designation recognizes Rush's expertise, advanced technology and commitment to the highest standards of breast cancer screening.
- Supporting your continued health after treatment: Rush offers services to help alleviate the side effects you may experience after breast cancer treatment. You’ll have access to services like occupational therapy (for lymphedema) and a new vaginal laser treatment called MonaLisa Touch (for vaginal dryness). Your care at Rush doesn’t stop at the end of treatment — we’re here to support you long-term.