Our top priority is helping improve your quality of life throughout your cancer journey by addressing pain and other symptoms, nutritional problems, social and emotional challenges, and your overall well-being.
Among the Best in the U.S. for Cancer Care
U.S. News & World Report ranked Rush University Medical Center among the best in the nation for cancer care.
The Rush Approach to Cancer Supportive Care
When you have cancer, all aspects of your life get more complicated. At Rush, we are committed to providing you with the social, emotional and physical support you need to address your new — and often overwhelming — needs.
We understand that there are many different ways a cancer diagnosis, treatment and long-term effects can affect your life. We'll work with you to determine the factors that contribute to your distress — which will help us connect you to the appropriate services. Our goal is to help you improve your day-to-day life during and after cancer treatment.
Rush Excellence in Cancer Supportive Care
- Distress screening: Your cancer care team will continuously check in with you about your overall well-being. Each time you come to the Cancer Center we'll ask you about any social or emotional concerns or other challenges that may be making it difficult for you to cope with your diagnosis and/or treatment. We'll then use this information to connect you to the resources you want and need.
- Psychological support: Patients often come to us for help managing stress, worries, depression and anxiety, or difficulty coping with cancer. Our team of psychologists specialize in psychosocial oncology and provide compassionate care to guide you through these difficult times. Our on-site psychiatrist is also available to help you manage medications that may provide another layer of psychological support.
- Immediate support when you need it: We understand that when you're in distress, you may need supportive care right away. So if you need supportive care during an appointment with your cancer team, your primary cancer provider can page a member of our team to see you during your appointment. We'll address your immediate needs and then help coordinate any follow-up visits.
- Evidence-based integrative therapies: Our highly experienced Chinese medicine provider offers acupuncture to complement traditional cancer treatments like chemotherapy. Many studies have found that acupuncture helps relieve pain, decrease nausea, reduce hot flashes and improve fatigue associated with cancer and cancer treatments.
- Nutritional support specifically for cancer: If cancer or cancer treatments have affected your sense of taste or ability to maintain a healthy diet, our dietitians specialize in nutritional challenges specific to cancer and cancer treatments. So if your chemotherapy treatments have affected your sense of taste, our dietitians will help you determine meals that give you the nutrition you need while appealing to your changed tastebuds.
- Speech therapy support: Certain cancers and cancer treatments may affect your ability to speak. Our speech therapists will work with you to help you communicate.
- Spiritual support: A cancer diagnosis may cause you or your loved ones to question your spirituality or experience other challenges related to faith. Our on-site non-denominational chaplain offers one-on-one support to help you work through questions of faith.
- Caring for anyone affected by cancer: Waterford Place Cancer Resource Center offers a wide range of free services and supportive care for anyone affected by cancer, including patients and their loved ones. This includes support groups, a salon and spa with a wig boutique, and mindfulness, meditation and relaxation classes. Our supportive oncology team also has connections with a variety of community cancer support organizations and can help provide information about resources that best meet your needs close to where you live.