Our specialists are leaders in treating bladder cancer, kidney cancer, prostate cancer and testicular cancer and will focus on improving your quality of life.
Best in the U.S. for Cancer Care
U.S. News & World Report ranked RUSH University Medical Center among the best in the nation for cancer and urology care.
The Rush Approach to Urologic Cancer Care
We understand that getting a urologic cancer diagnosis — including prostate, kidney, bladder and testicular cancers — can be overwhelming. When you come to Rush, you'll have a team of nationally recognized experts who take a compassionate, specialized approach to your care. We'll develop an individualized treatment plan for you that treats the cancer while preserving your urinary and sexual function as much as possible.
Treatment options for urologic cancers are constantly evolving and improving. And our providers have actually pioneered many of these advances in imaging, genomics, radiology, targeted therapies, radiology, immunotherapies and minimally invasive surgeries.
Rush Excellence in Urologic Cancer Care
- The most advanced diagnostic techniques: Getting the most effective care for urological cancers starts with getting an accurate diagnosis. Prostate cancer, in particular, can be difficult to detect with conventional imaging. Specialists at Rush University Medical Center use breakthrough robot-assisted technology called image-guided targeted transperineal biopsy, which uses MRI to detect and sample prostate cancers right in your doctor's office. This minimally invasive procedure is not only more accurate, it's also far more comfortable for patients. The Medical Center is currently the only location in the U.S. that offers this technology.
- Treatment that protects healthy tissue: Rush University Medical Center offers an in-office treatment called focal therapy, which uses thermal energy to destroy cancer cells without harming healthy areas. While this treatment is still being studied, it has the potential to be as effective as surgery and radiation therapy — with fewer aftereffects like incontinence or erectile dysfunction. The Medical Center is also the only hospital in the U.S. that is using irreversible electroporation (IRE), a targeted treatment for prostate cancer that destroys cancer cells with electric pulses.
- Expertise in minimally invasive surgery: Our urologists are some of the country's leading laparoscopic and robotic surgeons. They bring many treatment options from their own area of expertise, including active surveillance and image-guided biopsies for prostate cancer. Patients who undergo minimally invasive procedures typically have shorter hospital stays, less pain and faster recovery compared to traditional open surgeries.
- Access to clinical trials and personalized medicine: Urologic cancer specialists at Rush are known for pioneering treatment options and research for patients with prostate and other urologic cancers. Our team works closely with Tempus — a biotechnology company that analyzes your specific genetic and clinical data to provide information about how your cancer may respond to targeted treatments. This allows your care team to tailor your treatment to find the most effective option for your specific cancer.
- Follow-up care where — and when — you need it: Bladder, kidney, prostate and testicular cancers are conditions that require lifelong follow-up care. While we offer surgery for these conditions at Rush University Medical Center and Rush Copley Medical Center, you can get your follow-up care at a number of convenient locations Chicago, Oak Park, Lisle and Aurora/Fox Valley.