Urologists at Rush are world-renowned leaders in treating erectile dysfunction and are dedicated to helping you resume normal sexual activity.
Erectile dysfunction (ED) occurs when a man cannot maintain an erection. Causes of ED include a combination of physical and emotional problems.
ED is a common — and treatable — problem for many men, particularly older men.
If you are experiencing ED, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. In fact, it's important to talk to your doctor about ED because it can be the first indication of an underlying health condition like heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. You may actually begin experiencing ED as early as three to four years before you start having more common symptoms of heart disease.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
A decrease in blood flow to the penis — from narrowing blood vessels — is often the cause of ED in older men. Emotional problems are more likely the culprit in younger men.
These are other causes of erectile dysfunction:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Heart disease
- Kidney disease
- Neurological diseases (e.g., multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's, stroke, Alzheimer's)
- Peyronie's disease
- Prostate cancer
Treatment for Erectile Dysfunction at Rush
If your primary care doctor recommends further evaluation and testing, urologists at Rush are national leaders in erectile dysfunction. The following treatments can help you get back to normal sexual function:
- Medications (e.g., Viagra, Cialis)
- Injection therapy
- Prosthetic implant surgery
- Erectile aids (e.g., penis pump, tension ring)
- Lifestyle modifications (e.g., exercising, losing weight, quitting smoking)
Rush Excellence in Erectile Dysfunction
- Nationally recognized for urology care: Urologists at Rush are leaders in treating erectile dysfunction. And, U.S. News & World Report ranked Rush University Medical Center high performing for urology.
- Leading-edge diagnostic technology: Rush urologists offer intraoperative doppler studies, which assess the blood flow in and out of the penis. This provides a more in-depth explanation for what is happening to make man's erections weaker than normal. This level of detail allows your urologist to develop the most effective treatment plan based on the results of your specific test.
- Expert care, delivered with sensitivity: Though erectile dysfunction affects millions of men, our providers understand it can be a difficult topic to discuss. We are sensitive to the deeply personal nature of ED and offer judgment-free care in a safe setting.
- Multidisciplinary care: Because erectile dysfunction is often related to other underlying conditions, your urologist will work with your entire care team to get to the root of the problem and the most effective treatments for your specific needs.
- ED care where and when you need it: Rush urologists see patients at a number of convenient locations in Chicago, Oak Park and Aurora/Fox Valley — making it as easy as possible for you to get the expert, compassionate care you need for ED.