Through consultations, psychotherapy, free resource centers, events and support groups, social workers at Rush help you manage your health and well-being.
The Rush Approach to Social Work and Community Health
Social workers at Rush can help you manage your health and lead a fulfilling life. We're committed to respecting your cultural preferences, and we offer most of our services in English and Spanish.
Those services include the following:
- Walk-in resource centers: At our two Chicago resource centers, you can find educational materials, a health library, computers with internet access and more. The centers are designed to offer the information and support you need to take an active role in your health. They're free and open to everyone. You don't have to be a Rush patient to use them.
- Educational events and classes: We regularly offer free and low-cost classes and events. Most classes and events take place on Rush's Chicago campus, but we sometimes offer them at other Chicago-area locations. From exercise classes to lectures where you can learn about specific conditions from Rush experts, we have something for everyone. Joining our Rush Generations membership program is a great way to stay up-to-date on upcoming classes and events.
- Support groups: Rush offers a variety of support groups in Chicago, Oak Park and Aurora. They include groups for people dealing with movement disorders, a loved one's memory loss, caregiver stress and more.
- Help with Medicare: Social workers at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago can help you understand your Medicare options. Our unbiased Medicare counseling is designed to help you choose the plan that's best for you or your loved one. To schedule a free counseling session, please call (800) 757-0202.
Mental Health Care and Support
- Individual psychotherapy: Social workers offer psychotherapy, including cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago.
- Support for caregivers: Rush social workers offer a 12-week psychotherapy group in Chicago to help caregivers cope with stress and other issues. To learn the dates of the next group, please call please call (800) 757-0202.
- Support for cancer patients: Social workers in Chicago and Aurora offer a variety of support services for cancer patients in Chicago and Aurora.
Help Managing Your Health
Social workers collaborate with other providers at Rush to make sure you have everything you need to stay healthy. If you're admitted to any Rush hospital, a social worker will help as needed with the following:
- Managing your or your loved one's health: Keeping up with your medications and your doctor's recommendations can be hard. This is especially true if you have a new diagnosis or are transitioning between home and the hospital. We offer education and support for patients and caregivers to help you understand and manage any health conditions you're dealing with.
- Finding what you need: Need help getting to appointments, finding a support group, or applying for financial assistance? We have a broad knowledge of local organizations, resources and providers, so we can connect you with what you need.
Social workers from Rush University Medical Center also work with patients in many specialty and primary care offices in Chicago.
Rush Excellence in Social Work
- Leaders in social work: Social workers at Rush are national leaders in the field. Hospitals around the country have adopted our methods of ensuring that people have what they need to manage their care and stay healthy. These methods include the Ambulatory Integration of the Medical and Social (AIMS) model and the Bridge Model.
- Respect for your needs and desires: Our social workers have training in cultural competence (communicating with people of different cultures and backgrounds). That means they'll be sensitive to your background, culture, needs and desires.
- Bilingual care: Many of our social workers are fluent in English and Spanish.
- A welcoming community: Through Rush Generations, our free membership program, you can meet other people who share an interest in healthy aging. Rush Generations offers a variety of educational and social events throughout the year.