Affirm: The RUSH Center for Gender, Sexuality and Reproductive Health bridges gaps in care by providing safe, comprehensive, affirming care to LGBTQ+ people.
LGBTQ+ Leader in Health Care Equity
RUSH hospitals have been recognized as a Leader in LGBT Healthcare Equality in the Healthcare Equality Index (HEI) for 11 consecutive years.
Affirming Services Address LGBTQ+ Health Disparities
Here at Affirm: The RUSH Center for Gender, Sexuality and Reproductive Health, we understand that LGBTQ+ people deserve the same quality of health care as their cisgender/heterosexual peers, but gaps exist in the system that lead to health disparities.
Physical health can also be greatly affected from long-standing internalized stigma, trauma and socioeconomic disparities, putting you and your loved ones at greater risk for conditions and diseases, including the following:
- Alcohol, tobacco and substance misuse
- Eating disorders
- Mood disorders
- Suicide and suicidal thoughts
Physical health can also be greatly affected, putting you and those you love at greater risk for conditions, diseases and infections including:
- Greater likelihood of obesity
- Higher rates of HPV infection
- Increased likelihood of chronic conditions
- More likely to rate health as poor
These health risks are compounded by lack of access to necessary care, which means the following conditions are more often true:
- Less likely to fill prescriptions
- Lower likelihood of having health insurance
- More likely to be refused health care services and be harassed by health care providers
- Use of the ER more often or delay getting care
Our center works across the RUSH system to bridge those gaps by ensuring that our providers understand how to care for our LGBTQ+ patients while providing high-quality care and affirming services for everyone.
The RUSH Approach to LGBTQ+ Care
We understand that affirming care can’t just exist in LGBTQ+ centers or gender-affirming clinical services but in every aspect of care. Affirm’s mission is to ensure that members of the LGBTQ+ community receive the excellent care RUSH is known for across all areas and specialties.
Services we provide include the following:
- Behavioral health
- Gender-affirming clinical specialties (endocrinology, voice therapy and more)
- Gynecology services and cervical cancer screenings
- HIV care
- Primary care (adult, adolescent and pediatric)
- Specialty care (obstetrics, oncology, orthopedics, neurology)
- Patient navigation
For more information on Affirm's services, please fill out our patient intake form or call (833) 624-LGBT (5428).
This intake form goes directly to our LGBTQ+ patient navigation team. You’ll get a response from a member of our team within two business days. The Affirm patient navigation team is designed to bridge gaps in care, guiding you to the right providers and team for your needs — from behavioral health and gender-affirming health to specialty care and surgery.
RUSH Excellence in LGBTQ+ Care
- National leadership in LGBTQ+ Care: RUSH University Medical Center, RUSH Oak Park Hospital and RUSH Copley Medical Center have all been recognized as a Leader in LGBT Healthcare Equality in the Healthcare Equality Index, (HEI), the highest possible rating. HEI is an annual survey of how health care facilities in the United States treat LGBTQ patients and their families, as well as LGBTQ employees. RUSH hospitals are among a select group of 406 health care facilities nationwide to be named leaders in the 2019 HEI report, which evaluated nearly 1,700 health care facilities in all.
- LGBTQ+ patient and visitor inclusivity: We developed open and welcoming visitation policies and guidelines for same-sex partners and parents.
- Clinicians who care: Physicians at RUSH recognize the unique health care concerns and needs of the LGBTQ+ community and understand how to provide the best care possible in an inviting and open environment.
- Liaisons for LGBTQ+ health services: Our licensed clinical social worker and patient navigators help our LGBTQ+ patients, visitors, employees and students connect to resources within RUSH and the broader community.
- Advancing LGBTQ+ affirming care at RUSH: Join the Affirm Community Advisory Board to help advance Affirm’s mission to ensure that members of the LGBTQ+ community receive the excellent care RUSH is known for. Learn more about how you can make your voice heard.
LGBTQ+ Health Care Leadership in the News
- Doctors should ask all patients their preferred pronouns
- If you are LGBTQ and can’t go home for the holidays, know that you are not alone
- Praying to wake up in a girl’s body: LGBT group hosts transgender women explaining why, how they transitioned
- RUSH system hospitals named LGBTQ health care equality leaders
- RUSH leaders underscore commitment to LGBTQ+ health and equality