Here at Affirm: The Rush Center for Gender, Sexuality & Reproductive Health, we understand that LGBTQ+ people deserve the same quality of health care as their cisgender/heterosexual peers, but gaps exist in the system that lead to health disparities.
Physical health can also be greatly affected from long-standing internalized stigma, trauma and socioeconomic disparities, putting this population at greater risk for conditions and diseases, including the following:
- Alcohol, tobacco and substance misuse
- Eating disorders
- Mood disorders
- Suicide and suicidal thoughts
Physical health can also be greatly affected, putting this population at greater risk for conditions, diseases and infections including:
- Greater likelihood of obesity
- Higher rates of HPV infection
- Increased likelihood of reporting more chronic conditions
- More likely to rate health as poor
These health risks are compounded by lack of access to necessary care, which means the following conditions are more often true:
- Less likely to fill prescriptions
- Lower likelihood of having health insurance
- More likely to be refused health care services and be harassed by health care providers
- Use of the ER more often or delay getting care
Our center works across the Rush University System for Health to bridge those gaps by improving cultural competence and providing high-quality care and affirming services for everyone. We understand that affirming care can’t just exist in LGBTQ+ centers or gender-affirming clinical services but in every aspect of care. Affirm’s mission is to ensure that members of the LGBTQ+ community have access to Rush’s standard of excellence, no matter what services they need.
- Behavioral health
- Gender-affirming clinical specialties (Endocrinology, voice therapy and more)
- GYN services and cervical cancer screenings
- HIV care
- Patient navigation
- Primary care (adult, adolescent and pediatric)
- Specialty care (obstetrics, oncology, orthopedics, neurology)
For more information on Affirm's services, please fill out our patient intake form or please call toll-free (833) 624-LGBT (5428).
This intake form goes directly to our LGBTQ+ patient navigation team. You’ll get a response from a member of our team within two business days. The Affirm patient navigation team is designed to bridge gaps in care and to identify care teams for patients seeking primary behavioral health, gender-affirming care and specialty care.