Zucchini, that versatile veggie, takes center stage in our delicious vegan lasagna with tofu "ricotta." You'll love the fresh flavors in this twist on an classic Italian dish.
- 5-6 zucchini, sliced lengthwise in ¼ inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 3-4 red bell pepper, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 8 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, patted dry, and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups marinara (for use during assembly)
- 14 ounces package firm tofu, pressed
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place the zucchini slices in a single layer on baking sheets. Roast at 375° F until softened and pliable (about 5 minutes). Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add red bell peppers, mushrooms, and pepper. Cook until softened. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil the large skillet and heat on medium-high heat. Add the artichoke hearts and cook until lightly browned. Transfer to bowl with the mushrooms and peppers. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and toss to evenly coat. Set aside.
- Wrap block of tofu in paper towels. Place it on a cutting board, place a pan on top of tofu, and place something heavy in the pan to press water out of the tofu.
- Place tofu and remaining ingredients in a food processor and blend until the mixture is creamy, resembling ricotta cheese.
To Assemble the Lasagna
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spray the bottom and side of a 13x9" inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add 1 ¼ cups of marinara sauce to mushroom mixture and toss to evenly coat.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on bottom of baking dish.
Layer the other ingredients as follows:
- ¼ of the mushroom mixture.
- ¼ of the zucchini slices in a single layer.
- 1/3 of the tofu ricotta filling evenly over the zucchini and flatten dollops with the back of the spoon.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Make a final layer with the remaining zucchini slices, tofu ricotta filling, then the mushroom mixture.
- Bake uncovered until the sauce is bubbling around the edges and the top is browned (about 30 minutes).
Serving Size: 8 ounces
Amount Per Serving
- Calorie: 269
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Protein: 18g
Total Carbohydrates: 33g
- Dietary fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 150mg