We've packed so much flavor into our vegetarian chili that even meat-lovers will ask for seconds. But don't worry: You can refill your bowl without guilt, because this chili is low-fat and cholesterol-free.
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 32 oz. can crushed tomatoes, no sodium added
- 15 oz. can black beans or white (cannellini) beans, rinsed
- 15 oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 16-oz. can vegetarian refried beans
- In a large stock pot over moderate heat, combine onion, red and green bell peppers, jalapeno and garlic. Saute 3 to 5 minutes until soft.
- Add broth, tomatoes, black (or white) beans, red beans and refried beans. Stir to combine. Season with cumin and chili powder.
- Simmer over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Season to taste. Garnish with reduced fat cheddar cheese (not included in nutritional information), minced onion, chives or scallions, if desired.
Serving Size: 1 to 1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 201
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Protein: 13g
Total Carbohydrates: 37g
- Dietary fiber: 11g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 552mg