Your entire family will enjoy our tender, juicy roasted chicken, which gets its delicious flavor from thyme, sage and fresh cranberries.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons dried thyme
- Coarse salt and ground pepper to taste
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts (7 ounces each, uncooked)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Rub evenly under chicken skin. Place on a rimmed baking sheet; roast skin-side up until skin is golden brown and meat is cooked through (approximately 25 minutes).
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until golden (approximately 8 minutes). Add sage and remaining ½ teaspoon thyme; cook 1 minute. Add broth; simmer until reduced to 1½ cups, 10-15 minutes. Strain mixture and return to saucepan.
- Add cranberries and sugar; boil until berries burst, 5-8 minutes. Whisk in cornstarch mixture; return to a boil. Cook until slightly thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat (sauce will thicken as it stands). Season with salt and pepper. To serve, spoon sauce over chicken.
Serving Size: One 4 oz. breast
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 127
- Saturated fat: 0g
- Protein: 14 g
- Dietary fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Sodium: 96mg