Nothing says summer quite like blueberry pie. In this recipe, sweet, juicy blueberries pair perfectly with fresh basil. Enjoy a delicious slice at your next backyard BBQ.
Double Pie Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter or butter-flavored shortening
- 6-10 tablespoons cold water
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup whole fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup instant tapioca
- 5 cups fresh blueberries (or 6 cups frozen blueberries, thawed and drained)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg (for wash)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
To Prepare Pie Crust
- Stir together both flours and salt.
- Cut in shortening/butter, until butter is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle water over flour mixture about 3 tablespoons at a time, mixing with a fork until moistened.
- Form dough into a ball, divide in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten 1 dough ball. Roll from center to edges into a 12-inch circle using a lightly floured rolling pin.
- To transfer pastry to pie plate, gently fold into quarters. Unfold over a 9-inch pie plate, taking care not to stretch pastry.
- Repeat rolling procedure for second half of dough. Set aside.
To Prepare Filling
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In food processer, mince together brown sugar, cinnamon, and basil.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl and stir in tapioca. Add berries to bowl and mix.
- Transfer filling to pastry-lined 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
Assembling and Cooking the Pie
- Top pie with second pastry shell.
- Trim pastry evenly with the rim of the pie plate, folding bottom pastry over top pastry and pinching the two shells together to form a seal along the edge.
- Whisk egg. Brush over crust. Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Cut slits evenly around top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and juice bubbles between slits.
- Remove from oven and let cool at least 2 hours before serving.
Serving Size: 1 slice, or 1/8 of pie
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 246
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Protein: 28g
Total Carbohydrates: 41g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 297mg
- Cholesterol: 34mg