The health benefits of this vibrant soup can't be beet ... er, beat. That's because beets are rich in vitamin C, fiber, potassium and manganese. They also contain the B vitamin folate, which helps reduce the risk of birth defects, and betalain, a phytonutrient that gives these root veggies their gorgeous red-violet hue.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium 2-inch raw beets, peeled and halved (can buy pre-cut)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Sauté onions, celery and garlic in oil until soft. Then add the beets and vegetable broth, and bring mixture to a boil.
- Simmer with the lid on for 1 hour or until beets are tender, then puree the soup. Add lemon juice, sugar, coriander and pepper.
- For the horseradish sauce, combine the yogurt, horseradish and milk until well mixed. Dollop on top of soup.
Serving Size: 3/4 cup
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 87
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Protein: 4g
Total Carbohydrates: 10g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Sodium: 76mg