We’ve infused heart healthy oatmeal with the sinfully delicious taste of apple pie. Our overnight oats recipe, courtesy of the dietitians at the Rush University Cancer Center, is as satisfying as it is easy to prepare.
- ½ cup oatmeal
- ½ cup low fat milk*
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup plain yogurt*
- 1 small apple, diced (or 1 tablespoon of applesauce)
*or any dairy alternative
- In a medium bowl (or jar), mix oats, milk, cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, until oats are soft and have absorbed most of the liquid.
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt with ¼ teaspoon of vanilla.
- Combine the oatmeal, yogurt and diced apple.
- If desired, add extra spices, such as nutmeg or hazelnut.
- If desired, top with granola and/or unsalted nuts for a little crunch.
- If desired, heat oatmeal to enjoy a warm breakfast.
Nutritional information (makes one serving)
Amount Per Serving*
- Calories: 323
- Protein: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Dietary fiber: 7g
- Fat: 3g
*Adding granola and/or nuts will change the nutritional information.