Safe Care at Rush:
Rush has taken the necessary steps to ensure it's a safe place for treatment. Learn more.
About Rush University Medical Center Family Birth Center
- Convenience and care in one location: Our Family Birth Center offers labor and delivery, post-delivery and baby care, and neonatal intensive care (NICU) in one location. Each of these units care for you through each stage of birth so you have the convenience of not changing floors. And if your baby needs extra care, our NICU is just steps away. We're the only hospital in Illinois to have our NICU immediately next to our labor and delivery rooms.
- Spacious and comfortable labor and delivery suites: Our large labor and delivery rooms provide space for you to relax and do pain-relieving exercises as you labor. There is also comfortable sitting and sleeping space for any loved ones who are part of your birthing experience.
- Your delivery, your choices: At Rush, you can labor as you choose surrounded by capable and caring staff who support your birth plan. With birthing balls, large showers and labor teams trained in different relaxation and breathing techniques, we can tailor your labor experience to your preferences. Our expert anesthesia team can also administer pain medication, like an epidural, to make you more comfortable during labor and delivery.
- Mother Baby Unit for after your baby is born: After delivery, you'll stay in our Mother Baby Unit — 34 single, private suites with plenty of space for family members. Your baby will stay in your room with you, allowing you more time to bond and learn about baby care from our pediatricians and nurses.
- Breastfeeding support during your hospital stay and beyond: Our nurses and lactation consultants have special training to help new moms and babies with breastfeeding. We offer bedside breastfeeding assistance immediately after delivery and in the privacy of your mother baby suite, as well as once you return home. This special support, and commitment to helping moms breastfeed, earned Rush a Baby-Friendly birth center designation.
- Highest level of NICU care: Our level III NICU and expert providers are ready to care for your baby if needed. We offer 55 private NICU rooms, each with individual control of lighting, sound and temperature to offer your family comfort and privacy during your stay.
Nationally Recognized for Breastfeeding Support
Baby-Friendly USA awarded its top Baby-Friendly designation to Rush University Medical Center for the high level of care, support and education we provide to breastfeeding mothers.