Our focus is on achieving excellent outcomes — a commitment supported by one of the shortest wait times and highest outcomes nationally for your transplant.
A kidney transplant is performed by a transplant surgeon to implant a healthy kidney from a donor and improve your overall health.
Who Would Benefit From a Kidney Transplant?
If you have been diagnosed with end-stage kidney disease, your doctor will refer you for a kidney transplant evaluation. A kidney transplant is the treatment of choice for many people because it offers you a better quality of life than dialysis.
Why Choose Rush for a Kidney Transplant?
At Rush, you will be able to make an appointment for an evaluation within two weeks. If you qualify for a kidney transplant, you will be put on the active waiting list within 30 days. We are available 24 hours a day to respond to offers of organs for you.
How Safe Is a Kidney Transplant?
A kidney transplant at Rush is considered very safe. But you should know, like all surgeries, there is a risk of bleeding, infection and damage to tissues near the site of the procedure.
Rush Excellence in Kidney Transplant Care
- Excellent outcomes: Rush kidney transplant patients have excellent outcomes. The Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients confirms our kidney transplant survival rates for single organ transplants are among the highest in the Chicago area.
- Personalized care: Our team members are focused on education and helping you get the support you need before and after transplant.
- Specialized care for complex cases: Rush kidney transplant specialists are highly skilled in the most complex transplant techniques and procedures, including transplants if you have HIV or hepatitis C.
- Follow-up care where — and when — you need it: A transplant is a major surgery that requires lifelong follow-up care. We offer care at a number of convenient locations in Chicago and Oak Brook.
- Second opinion services: Rush offers second opinion services to help you explore all possible treatment options, including kidney transplant for advanced kidney disease.
- Leading-edge mobile health: Rush is participating in a clinical study that offers a free kidney transplant app that helps you find a kidney donor by allowing you to share your story and need for a donor. When you use the app, you are 6.6 times more likely to find a living donor.