Our nationally recognized experts diagnose kidney disease quickly and will create a personalized treatment plan to improve your quality of life and well-being.
Kidney disease means your kidneys are damaged and can’t filter blood the way they should. If left untreated, toxins build up and can cause severe, life-threatening kidney failure and damage to your heart, along with other health problems.
Signs You Should Get Help for Kidney Disease
If you have diabetes or high blood pressure, you have the highest risk of developing kidney disease. Most people do not have any signs of kidney disease until it has advanced.
You should see your primary care doctor if your symptoms include one or more of the following:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Difficulty urinating
- Fluid retention, causing swelling of your legs, ankles or feet
- Shortness of breath
- High blood pressure
- Weakness or muscle cramps
After your exam, your doctor may refer you to a specialist in treating kidney disease.
Kidney Disease Treatment at Rush
Our expert team will help you find the best options to treat your kidney disease so you can return to leading a happy, healthy life. There is no cure for kidney disease, but there are ways to slow disease progression if you catch it early.
- Preventative approaches: We provide quick diagnosis and work with you to create a personalized treatment plan to stop the progression of kidney disease and protect your health.
- Medications: Your kidney disease may improve with medications that help control blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol.
- Diet and lifestyle changes: Our dietitians will work with you to help you establish healthy eating and lifestyle habits that can improve your overall health.
- Leading-edge research: Our team uses the latest technologies and research-driven expertise to provide you with the best and latest treatment options.
- Kidney transplant: Our kidney transplants have the highest success and outcomes in Illinois.
Rush Excellence in Kidney Disease Care
- Our full team is here to support you: Because kidney disease can impact your heart and other parts of your body, it requires a team approach to your care. Our kidney specialists work closely with cardiologists, endocrinologists, pharmacists, nurses, educators, dietitians and counselors to take into account both your medical and emotional needs.
- Nationally ranked for kidney care: U.S. News & World Report ranked Rush University Medical Center among the best in the nation and the best in Illinois for nephrology (kidney care). They welcome your questions and will work with you to create a personalized treatment plan to improve your quality of life and well-being.
- Latest breakthroughs in treatment: Our experts offer the latest technologies and advanced therapies to improve your kidney health. Their research has gained worldwide attention in helping improve the treatment and of kidney disease and improve outcomes.
- Care where — and when — you need it: Kidney disease involves ongoing monitoring and care. We offer care at a number of convenient locations in the area, including downtown Chicago and Oak Brook.