Living with diabetes can be a challenge. That's why there's a team of professionals at the Rush University Diabetes Center to help you learn how to be an active partner in your own care.
The center's team includes doctors, nurses and dietitians who specialize in caring for people with diabetes.
In addition to top-notch medical care, the center offers a diabetes education program that has been recognized for excellence by the American Diabetes Association.
The education program covers a range of topics, including the following:
- Information about your diabetes medication, including training in using an insulin pump
- How to monitor your blood sugar level
- Healthy meal plans for people with diabetes
- How to incorporate physical activity into your life
- Learning to cope with stress
- Tips for preventing short- and long-term diabetes complications
You can come to the center to participate in the education program alone or to see an endocrinologist. Talk with your referring doctor to decide what will work best for you.
Many insurance plans will cover the education program. To qualify for coverage, you will need a physician’s referral.