Member of a National Network
RUSH is a gold sponsor of the Acoustic Neuroma Association, the premier resource for the acoustic neuroma community that informs, educates and supports those affected by acoustic neuroma brain tumors.
The RUSH Approach to Acoustic Neuroma
The RUSH Acoustic Neuroma Program offers personalized specialty care for patients with acoustic neuroma, a benign, often slow-growing tumor of the nerve that connects the ear and the brain. Also known as a vestibular schwannoma, the tumor can damage important nerves as it grows, potentially affecting hearing and balance.
The program brings together a team of highly skilled specialists — including neurotologists (a subspecialty within ENT), neurosurgeons, neuro-oncologists, radiation oncologists, audiologists, and facial plastic and reconstructive surgeons — who have extensive experience diagnosing and treating acoustic neuroma.
The Acoustic Neuroma Program team at RUSH is committed to improving patients' quality of life by helping them make informed decisions about management of the tumor and, when needed, rehabilitation for hearing loss.
When to Schedule an Appointment
Many patients with acoustic neuroma are initially treated with radiation when they should instead be watched. Others are given radiation for tumors that are too large for the therapy to be effective, and the tumors continue to grow.
In both cases, surgery to remove the tumor becomes more challenging, and the results are not as good.
That's why it's important to consult with an acoustic neuroma specialist to learn about all of your options before you start any type of treatment. Because our team offers every available treatment option for acoustic neuroma, we can help you get the appropriate treatment at the right time.
We encourage you to schedule a consultation with us:
- If you have been newly diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma
- If you need follow-up care after initial treatment
- If your tumor is growing after prior radiation therapy
- If you're seeking a second opinion about either your diagnosis or treatment options, especially before you decide on a treatment
RUSH Excellence in Acoustic Neuroma
- Exclusive focus on acoustic neuroma: The RUSH Acoustic Neuroma Program is the only dedicated acoustic neuroma program in the Chicago area — and when it comes to treating these rare tumors, experience can make a big difference.
- Personalized team care: Because of the complex nature of acoustic neuromas, RUSH offers a team-based approach to evaluation and treatment. Our specialists collaborate to provide you with a comprehensive assessment, then tailor a treatment plan that includes the least-invasive options possible for the best outcome.
- Surgical expertise: Neurotologists and neurosurgeons at RUSH are experts in treating acoustic neuromas with variety of surgical approaches to remove these tumors and prevent nerve damage.
- Targeted radiation therapy: RUSH offers stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS), a highly targeted form of radiation therapy that can stop the growth of tumors more accurately and effectively.
- Part of a national network: RUSH is a gold sponsor of the Acoustic Neuroma Association, the premier resource for the acoustic neuroma community that informs, educates and supports those affected by acoustic neuroma brain tumors.
- Nationally recognized programs: The ENT and neurology and neurosurgery programs at RUSH are consistently ranked among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report.
- Related programs and services: Other programs we work with include the Auditory Implant Program, Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Neurological Surgery, Otorhinolaryngology (ENT), Outpatient Physical Therapy, Radiation Oncology and Skull Base and Pituitary Surgery.