Serve this easy-to-prepare vegan appetizer at your next get-together: a flavorful white bean spread slathered on toasted crostini, seasoned with a hint of fresh rosemary. You don't have to be vegan to enjoy this delicious starter.
- 20 quarter-inch slices baguette
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons garlic, minced
- 15 ounces canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Bake baguette slices until beginning to crisp (6 to 8 minutes).
- For the spread, warm ½ tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add drained beans and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Mash the beans with the back of a fork to make a rough puree. Add remaining ½ tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary and pepper.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of bean mixture on baguette slice.
- Serve 2 baguette slices, garnished with rosemary sprig.
When using canned beans, rinsing the beans can reduce the sodium content. Look for canned beans that say "low sodium" or "no sodium added" to further reduce the sodium.
Serving Size: 2 baguette slices, with 2 tablespoons bean mixture
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 81
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Protein: 4g
Total Carbohydrates: 13g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 91mg