We think sweet potatoes are main dish-worthy, so we made this versatile superfood the star of our vegetarian chili. And then we went and topped it with an avocado lime cruda and baked tortilla ribbons for a flavor explosion.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 5 cups cooked black beans or 3.15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 ounces jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/2 ounce chopped cilantro leaves
Avocado lime cruda
- 2 large avocados, diced
- 3 ounces cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 ounce green onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
Baked tortilla ribbons
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Warm oil in a large pot over medium heat and add onion, red pepper, garlic and salt. Sauté until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato and lime zest. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes more, until sweet potatoes are soft. Stir occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, black beans, jalapeño, lime juice, cumin, chili powder and cocoa.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
To make the cruda:
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Toss to combine.
To make the tortilla ribbons:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread tortilla strips onto a baking sheet.
- Drizzle tortillas with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with smoked paprika and salt.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until strips are crisp.
- Serve chili topped with 1 tablespoon avocado lime cruda, 1/2 ounce tortilla ribbons and lime wedge.
Serving size: 6 ounces chili; 1 tablespoon avocado lime cruda; 1/2 ounce tortilla ribbons
Amount Per Serving*
- Calories: 229
- Fat: 7g
Total Carohydrates: 37g
- Dietary fiber:10g
- Protein: 7g
- Sodium: 65mg
*For entire dish