A healthier take on traditional macaroni and cheese, our gooey quinoa-cheese casserole will quickly become a family favorite. Quinoa, which replaces the noodles in this recipe, is a superfood: It has almost twice the fiber of other refined grains, and it's a good source of protein.
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 1½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided into ¾ cup and ¼ cup
- Sauté the garlic for a few seconds and then add in and sauté the quinoa for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the water, pepper, and onion powder, stirring well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, preheat the oven to 350º F and lightly spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- When the quinoa is done, let it sit off the heat for about 5 minutes while you whisk together the egg and milk in a small bowl. Quickly stir the liquid into the pan of quinoa with the ¾ cup of cheese and dump it all into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of cheese over the top and place in the oven to bake for 25-35 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown
Serving Size: ½ cup
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 140
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Protein: 4.5g
Total Carbohydrates: 24g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 7.5mg
- Sodium: 290mg