If you’re looking to mix up your stay-at-home snack time, try out this delicious dip. High in fiber and protein, and low in fat (with no saturated fat), it’s a healthy – and tasty – way to treat yourself. And it's a great way to use some of those cans of beans you've stocked up on.
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) drained, save juice
- Juice of one-half lemon (or more to taste)
- 1 to 3 cloves garlic peeled (use more or less depending on your preference; more garlic gives the dip an extra zing)
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame butter). To reduce fat, omit the tahini.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Ground red pepper (cayenne), to taste
- Fresh parsley or cilantro, minced, for garnish
- Add all ingredients except garnish to a food processor or blender. Mix until smooth.
- Add reserved garbanzo bean liquid to make the dip thinner, if desired.
- Adjust seasonings. If you're feeling adventurous, experiment with seasonings — try a bit of ground coriander, fresh mint or cumin.
- Sprinkle with garnish.
Serve with pita bread or pita chips — look for the whole wheat variety. For a festive touch, serve colorful cut-up vegetables on the side: carrot sticks, red and green bell peppers, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower or green onions.
Serving Size: 1/4 cup.
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 68
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Protein: 3g
Total Carbohydrates: 5g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 91mg