Our French toast muffin cups may taste decadent, but with only 210 calories and 1 gram of saturated fat each, you can indulge in this sweet, gooey breakfast treat without any guilt.
French toast cups
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 eggs (4 oz.)
- 3 egg whites (4 oz.)
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 15 cups (29 slices) of ½ -inch whole wheat bread cubes
Cream cheese glaze
- 3 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
French toast cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together skim milk and cinnamon.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Whisk together the milk and egg mixture.
- Place bread cubes in a large mixing bowl and add egg mixture. Toss until the bread is evenly coated. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Remove bowl from the fridge and toss the bread cubes with the remaining egg mixture, once more. Place the bowl back in the fridge for 10 more minutes.
- Using nonstick cooking spray, grease two 12-cup muffin tins.
- Once bread mixture is ready, portion and press mixture evenly into the muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are crispy and golden.
- Remove pan from oven and cool for 5 minutes. While warm, spread 1 teaspoon of cream cheese glaze on each muffin.
Cream cheese glaze
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time to thin glaze until it meets the desired consistency.
Serving size: 1 1-ounce muffin and 1 teaspoon of glaze
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 210
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 10g
Total carbohydrates: 34g
- Dietary fiber: 3g
- Sodium: 273mg
- Cholesterol: 46mg