This Southwestern-inspired side dish is a tasty alternative to potato salad or pasta. It goes well with everything from fish to ribs to veggie burgers — and it's a good source of protein. In fact, quinoa is the only grain that is a "complete protein," meaning it contains all nine of the essential amino acids our bodies need.
- 1/2 cup quinoa, dry (makes 1 cup cooked)
- 8 oz. whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
- 8 oz. canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 oz. grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Cook quinoa in 2 cups boiling water according to package directions. Place in mixing bowl to chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Combine corn, black beans, grape tomatoes and cilantro into the mixing bowl with the quinoa.
- Toss with fresh lime juice.
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 141
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Protein: 6g
Total carbohydrates: 27g
- Dietary fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 105mg