For a taste of summer any time of year, try our lighter take on this classic Italian confection. It's bursting with fresh, sweet berries.
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 ½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces Mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 ½ cup low-fat whipping cream
- 30 ladyfingers
- 2 ounces brewed coffee
- 2 cups raspberries
- 2 cups strawberries
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
- In a heatproof bowl, mix the egg yolks and sugar until mixture becomes pale yellow. Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water without letting the bottom of the bowl touch the water. Cook on low heat, stirring and whisking constantly until the mixture thickens and forms a ribbon trail (about 5-7 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool.
- Whisk in vanilla. Then beat in mascarpone until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form, then carefully fold in the mascarpone mixture.
- Place ladyfingers on bottom of 9x13 pan. Brush tops of ladyfingers with coffee. Layer mascarpone and berries for 2-3 layers, ending with a layer of mascarpone or, if you prefer, a layer of berries.
- Dust with cocoa powder, cover, and refrigerate for one hour before serving.
Try this recipe with different berries, such as blueberries and blackberries. You could even substitute other fruits like peaches, plums, or bananas.
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 163
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Protein: 4g
Total Carbohydrates: 23g
- Dietary fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 104mg
- Sodium: 29mg