Because women can have different kinds of heart disease and experience heart and vascular disease differently than men — including having some unique risk factors and symptoms — they need heart care designed just for them.
Comprehensive women's heart care
The Rush Heart Center for Women was the first heart program in Chicago devoted exclusively to women. At the center, women with heart and vascular problems — or who are at risk for them — are cared for by trusted experts in women's heart health.
Our multidisciplinary team comprises a diverse group of female cardiologists, an advanced nurse practitioner, a neurologist who specializes in cognitive concerns (such as dementia and stroke), a vascular surgeon, a nutritionist, a genetic counselor and psychologists.
These specialists draw on the latest research and technology, as well as decades of experience, to help with the following:
- Reducing risk factors for heart disease and vascular disease, including stroke and peripheral vascular disease (also known as peripheral artery disease)
- Diagnosing and addressing a full range of conditions, from the common to the most complex
- Preventing future health problems for women with existing heart or vascular disease
- Educating women about heart and vascular disease, including how these diseases affect women differently
Individualized women's heart treatments
Specialists at the Rush Heart Center for Women work together to design a personalized program for each patient. The following are among the many services available:
- The latest medications, including many new therapies available only through clinical trials
- Surgical and minimally invasive procedures to treat everything from heart attack to peripheral vascular disease to faulty heart valves
- Access to implantable devices, including cardiac resynchronization therapy devices for severe heart failure, implantable cardioverter defibrillators for irregular heartbeats and ventricular assist devices (VAD) to support function for weakened hearts
- Comprehensive risk assessments, including genetic testing and advanced lipid testing
- Complimentary nutritional counseling
- Pregnancy-related heart care, including pre-conception cardiac risk assessment and care throughout pregnancy
- Evaluation, treatment and monitoring for women with heart problems who are about to undergo treatment for cancer, and for women with heart damage caused by past cancer treatments
- Through the Cardiology Cognitive Clinic, help managing heart disease and lower risk factors to prevent the cognitive decline that can result from heart disease, atrial fibrillation and stroke; as well as help maintaining optimal brain health and cognitive function as one ages
Schedule a consultation today
If you have a family history of heart disease, want a second opinion, or are simply concerned about your personal risks, we encourage you to request an appointment with one of our women's heart experts.
For your convenience, we see patients at Rush University Medical Center, Rush Oak Park Hospital and Rush River North (view our locations).