Thanks to treatment advances, you can get relief for your pain, inflammation, fatigue and other symptoms — so you can keep doing what matters to you.
The Rush Approach to Rheumatology
Only you know what is most important to you and how your disease is impacting your life. Maybe pain is interfering with your relationships or ability to work, or maybe you are too stiff, swollen or tired to engage in activities you enjoy.
At Rush, we believe in developing strong, long-term partnerships with our patients, which is key to improving your quality of life.
When you come to Rush, you can expect our rheumatologists to listen carefully. We want to understand your symptoms and how they are impacting you. Then together, we will discuss any diagnostic test results and explore medications, physical therapy and other treatments that can address your symptoms and get you back to the life that you want to lead.
Rush Excellence in Rheumatology Services
- Respected, empathetic providers: Many of our rheumatologists are nationally renowned among their peers for their knowledge and experience, serving on the boards of major medical societies and associations, including the American College of Rheumatology. However, you will also find our providers easy to talk with and caring. Most of our rheumatologists have received 5-star ratings (the highest possible rating) from patient satisfaction surveys.
- Specialized care for specific rheumatic diseases: You will also benefit from the deep clinical expertise at Rush. Our rheumatologists see more than 9,000 patients each year, with many different types of rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases. Because we see so many patients, we are highly experienced in diagnosing and treating these diseases, including rare conditions, such as vasculitis, Marfan syndrome and sarcoidosis.
- Personalized treatment that reflects your goals and values: Revolutionary prescription medications can now dramatically reduce your pain, inflammation and other symptoms. Our rheumatologists can help you weigh the benefits of various drugs in treating your disease against any potential side effects. In addition, you may benefit from physical and occupational therapy, which is offered through Rush’s physical medicine and rehabilitation services.
- Seeking breakthroughs through research: Many of our rheumatologists are also researchers working alongside other scientists to better understand the causes of rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases, as well as identify promising treatments. As a result, you may have early access to the latest breakthroughs in diagnosing and managing your disease. For instance, Rush has been awarded several grants from the National Institutes of Health to study the biology of osteoarthritis pain. Once we understand the mechanisms causing this pain, we hope to develop nonaddictive medicines that target those mechanisms, providing relief to millions of people suffering from osteoarthritis.
- A focus on the quality of life: Rush physicians, including Theodore P. Pincus, MD, and Meenakshi Jolly, MD, are pioneers in patient-reported outcomes, which involves seeking information directly from patients about their symptoms and their quality of life. This research has led to a better understanding of what matters to patients — and we've used this information to improve how we interact with and care for our patients.
- Convenient access and options: After new patients establish care with a provider, we offer in-person and telehealth appointments for follow-up visits. In some of our locations, we offer the convenience of obtaining imaging, including bone density tests, and infusion services (medication through an IV) in the same office where you visit your rheumatologist. This can save you hours of coordinating and traveling to various medical offices.
- Collaboration with other Rush specialists: The various types of rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases can affect different parts of your body, including your skin, eyes, blood vessels, lungs, brain and joints. Our rheumatologists collaborate extensively with other specialists throughout the Rush system, including dermatologists, pulmonologists, orthopedic surgeons, neurologists and ophthalmologists. This means you benefit from the comprehensive and extensive knowledge of hundreds of physician experts when you come to Rush.