The RUSH Approach to Pulmonology
To get the right diagnosis and treatment for your breathing problem, you need an experienced team. Pulmonologists at RUSH are experts in identifying and treating every kind of lung condition, including asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), pulmonary fibrosis, pulmonary hypertension, shortness of breath and more. They're also experts in treating breathing problems caused by COVID-19.
Because many lung conditions also involve your heart, our pulmonologists work especially closely with RUSH cardiologists. And they plan your care in collaboration with other specialists, including those in internal medicine. thoracic surgery, lung cancer and airway disorders.
RUSH Excellence in Pulmonology
- Nationally recognized COVID-19 experts: RUSH is a national leader in treating COVID-19 patients successfully. In fact, many of these patients are transferred to RUSH from other hospitals because of our special expertise. RUSH clinicians and researchers are deeply involved in testing new therapies and diagnostic tools, including medications and positioning to improve COVID-19 patients' breathing.
- Collaborative approach: Our pulmonologists work closely with other specialists in the RUSH Lung Center and throughout the RUSH System to make sure you get comprehensive care. This team approach means that we're able to reach a diagnosis and administer effective treatment more quickly and effectively than if you saw just one doctor.
- Leading-edge testing: RUSH offers state-of-the-art testing for lung disease, including impulse oscillometry for lung function testing and a cardiopulmonary exercise lab to evaluate symptoms that arise during physical activity. We're proud of the fact that our pulmonary function technicians are the most highly trained in the Chicago area.
- Diagnosing lung care faster, more accurate: Experts at RUSH use a robotic-assisted bronchoscopy system called Ion to diagnose lung cancer faster and more accurately. This minimally invasive lung biopsy reaches more parts of the lung than a standard biopsy, so you get treated sooner.
- Seeking new solutions: RUSH clinicians and scientists are working together to develop new treatments for lung disease, including lung cancer and interstitial lung diseases such as pulmonary fibrosis and sarcoidosis. As a RUSH patient, you'll have access to the full resources of our academic medical system.
- Convenient care: RUSH pulmonologists are located in Chicago, Oak Park and Aurora/Fox Valley — and we offer telehealth visits for initial consultations and second opinions. If you come to RUSH University Medical Center for tests or procedures, you can schedule follow-up appointments or pulmonary rehabilitation at a location that's convenient for you.