The RUSH Approach to Lung Care
RUSH's team of lung experts is committed to getting you answers and creating a treatment plan for your lung condition that manages your symptoms and keeps you comfortable.
You're at the center of every decision about your treatment, so our expert team comes together around you. Drawing on their years of expertise and the most current research, our lung specialists collaborate to ensure that you have a seamless experience at RUSH.
The lung experts at RUSH make sure that you're a true partner in your treatment plan. And they focus on treating you as a whole person, not simply on treating your condition.
Our Areas of Care
Care that improves your quality of life if you have COPD, sleep apnea, asthma, pulmonary fibrosis or another lung disease.
Our emphasis on lung cancer screening and early detection, minimally invasive treatment, immunotherapies and leading-edge precision medicine means better outcomes.
Our nationally recognized surgeons specialize in minimally invasive techniques that result in less pain, fewer complications and a faster return to normal life.
A customized pulmonary rehab program helps you gain strength, breathe easier and return to normal activities.
Courage to Quit classes, nicotine replacement products, counseling and more options to help you quit smoking and improve your health.
Expert care for patients who are critically ill and have complex medical needs.
Fast, accurate diagnosis with sweat testing and effective symptom management, including respiratory therapy and nutrition counseling, for children and adults.
Innovative, minimally invasive procedures to diagnose and manage a wide range of lung and thoracic diseases.
Treatment for sleep apnea, snoring, insomnia and other issues can help you get a good night's sleep.
RUSH Excellence in Lung Care
- A high-tech approach for better outcomes: RUSH's lung cancer screening program detects most lung cancers at early stages, when they are most curable. We partner with Tempus, a biotech company that gathers and analyzes tissue samples to help our specialists create personalized treatment plans. Your tumor can be tested for gene mutations known to respond to specific treatments, so we can choose a treatment tailored to your genetic makeup.
- Diagnosing lung care faster, more accurate: Experts at RUSH use a robotic-assisted bronchoscopy system called Ion to diagnose lung cancer faster and with more accuracy. This minimally invasive lung biopsy reaches more parts of the lung than a standard biopsy, so you get treated sooner.
- Nationally ranked for lung cancer surgery: The Society of Thoracic Surgeons has designated thoracic surgery at RUSH a three-star program — the society’s highest rating — for lung cancer surgeries. RUSH is one of 13 thoracic surgery programs in the nation who has earned the three-star distinction, which denotes an excellent program with better-than-expected outcomes for patients.
- Collaborative care that centers on you: RUSH lung specialists work closely with each other in the RUSH Lung Center, and collaborate with other specialists to ensure that your care is seamless. For example, if you have myositis that contributes to interstitial lung disease, we coordinate care with your rheumatologist. If you have a neuromuscular disease that affects your respiratory function, we're part of your neuromuscular disease care team.
- Leaders in research: Because Rush is an academic health system, you'll have access to groundbreaking research. More than 20 clinical trials currently underway are testing new therapies and exploring new approaches to lung diseases ranging from asthma to cancer.