If you have Crohn's disease, colitis, celiac disease, colon cancer or another gastrointestinal disease, our gastroenterologists can help you find answers.
Among the Best in the U.S. for Gastroenterology and GI Surgery
U.S. News & World Report ranked RUSH University Medical Center among the best in the nation for gastroenterology and GI surgery.
The RUSH Approach to Gastroenterology Services
Having inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), a food sensitivity or celiac disease, a GI cancer or even chronic heartburn (GERD), diarrhea or constipation can affect your quality of life. Our experts want to help you manage your symptoms so you can feel better and regain a sense of control.
If you have a GI condition, our diverse care team will bring you the best tools and treatments from multiple specialties. Then, we'll work with you to develop a holistic care plan that meets your needs.
Our Areas of Care
Colon and Rectal Surgery Services
Surgery for colon cancer, fecal incontinence, hemorrhoids and other colorectal conditions.
Crohn's Disease and Colitis Care
Help for people with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
Food Sensitivities Care
A team approach to diagnosing and treating food sensitivities and food allergies.
Gastrointestinal Cancer Services
Comprehensive care for stomach cancer, pancreatic cancer, colon cancer, esophageal cancer and anal cancer.
Advanced treatments for liver disease, including liver transplant.
IBD Infusion Services
Comfortable, convenient outpatient settings for infusions of IBD medication.
Advanced, minimally invasive procedures for wide range of gastrointestinal conditions.
Pelvic and Abdominal Health Care
Help for abdominal pain, pelvic pain and other conditions.
Voice, Airway and Swallowing Disorders Care
Personalized care for dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) and other issues.
RUSH Excellence in Gastroenterology
- A national leader in treating digestive diseases: U.S. News & World Report ranked RUSH University Medical Center among the best in the country in the country for gastroenterology and GI surgery. The hospital also earned a top ranking for cancer and high performing status for colon cancer surgery. This means you will be treated by some of the country's leading experts in digestive health and cancer at RUSH.
- Minimally invasive options: Our expert endoscopists often can provide the care you need without surgery. When surgery is needed, our surgeons use small incisions whenever possible to reduce pain and scarring. Surgeons at RUSH University Medical Center also use a proven pre- and post-surgery enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) protocol to speed your recovery after colon surgery.
- Experts in managing chronic conditions: If you have Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, let our experienced team suggest medication, diet and other strategies to help you avoid relapses. As one of the first programs in the country with a dedicated psychologist and dietitian on our team, we can also give you the skills and tools you need to handle food allergies and sensitivities that affect your quality of life. We also provide several support groups to help you connect with others facing similar challenges.
- Fast access and convenient locations: We offer same-day, virtual and in-person appointments (as well as some virtual appointments on evenings and Saturdays) for many conditions at locations across the Chicago area and beyond. When we can't schedule your appointment on the same day as your request, we can usually see you within a week so you can get answers as quickly as possible.
- New treatments through clinical trials: Many of our doctors are also researchers looking for new ways to treat GI diseases, such as by improving sleep patterns in patients with IBD and other conditions. If you see one of our specialists, you may have early access to promising new therapies for IBD, cancer or other diseases before they are available elsewhere.