Erectile dysfunction (ED) occurs when a man cannot maintain an erection. Causes of ED include a combination of physical and emotional problems.
ED is a common — and treatable — problem for many men, particularly older men.
ED: what you should know
- A decrease in blood flow to the penis — from narrowing blood vessels — is often the cause of ED in older men. Emotional problems are more likely the culprit in younger men.
- These are some causes of ED:
- There are number of effective ED treatment options available, and researchers are working to develop new therapies.
It’s important to discuss ED with your doctor because it can be the first indication of one of these underlying health conditions:
- Cardiovascular disease
- High blood pressure
- ED may be present as early as three to four years before cardiovascular problems are recognized.
Why choose Rush for erectile dysfunction
- Urologists at Rush are world-renowned leaders in treating erectile dysfunction. They will work with you to create an individualized plan to help you resume normal sexual activity.
- The urology program at Rush is consistently named among one of the best in the country in U.S. News and World Report.
- The urology team at Rush collaborates with other specialists at Rush in cardiology, endocrinology, neurology and cancer to determine the causes of ED and the most effective treatments.
- Urologists at Rush understand the deeply personal nature of ED. They provide compassionate care in a safe, judgment-free setting.
Care for erectile dysfunction at Rush
If your primary care doctor recommends further evaluation and testing, Rush has many specialists who can help you overcome erectile dysfunction. Your ED treatment options may include some the following:
- Medications (e.g., Viagra, Cialis)
- Prosthetic implant surgery
- Erectile aids (e.g., penis pump, tension ring)
- Lifestyle modifications (e.g., exercising, losing weight, quitting smoking)