RUSH offers specialized care for all types of multiple sclerosis, including remitting-relapsing MS.
Among the Best in the U.S. for Neurology and Neurosurgery
U.S. News & World Report ranked RUSH University Medical Center No. 4 in the country and best in Illinois for neurology and neurosurgery.
The RUSH Approach to Multiple Sclerosis Treatment
We understand that living with multiple sclerosis (MS) presents unique challenges for each person. That's why our nationally ranked team of MS specialists develops personalized multiple sclerosis treatment plans tailored to your individual needs.
At our Chicago location, we have a dedicated team of physicians, nurses, technicians and office staff who specialize exclusively in caring for MS patients. This expertise is why RUSH University Medical Center is recognized as a National Multiple Sclerosis Society Center for Comprehensive Care.
Whether you choose to visit us in Chicago or at our clinics in the western suburbs, our neurologists collaborate with other RUSH specialists, building an integrated team of physical therapists, occupational therapists and psychologists to provide the support you need. Our comprehensive approach to MS treatment includes mental health, rehabilitation and social services.
You don't have to navigate your MS journey alone. Let us help you with our expert care and personalized treatment plans.
Infusion Therapy Treatment for Multiple Sclerosis at RUSH
RUSH University Medical Center provides comprehensive infusion therapy services for people living with multiple sclerosis, including the latest MS treatment options. As a leading multiple sclerosis research center in Chicago, RUSH has played a vital role in the development and testing of several FDA-approved MS drugs, such as Tysabri, Ocrevus, and Ampyra. By choosing RUSH for infusion therapy, patients have access to the latest treatments and clinical trials. They can receive infusion therapy in private or semi-private, WiFi-enabled infusion bays, while enjoying comprehensive care from RUSH's team of nationally ranked neurologists.
RUSH Excellence in Multiple Sclerosis Treatment
- High volume of patients: Providers at RUSH typically see more than 3,000 patients with multiple sclerosis each year. We understand all the different MS symptoms people can experience — and which MS treatments work well to address those symptoms.
- Managing MS symptoms: We work with other RUSH providers to address the full range of MS symptoms and how they affect your quality of life. This includes coordinating at-home therapy as needed. Our specialists can help with common MS symptoms, such as urinary incontinence, constipation, trouble walking, depression, tremor, spasticity, optic neuritis and sexual problems.
- Extensive experience with cladribine: Physicians at our downtown Chicago location participated in early clinical trials of the oral chemotherapy drug cladribine (brand name, Mavenclad). This means we have a deep understanding of its potential benefits and its side effects, plus how to address them. Cladribine can be effective in halting the destructive processes of MS and lowering the risk for disability progressing in patients with relapsing-remitting MS and secondary progressive MS.
- Treatment for PML: RUSH multiple sclerosis specialists were among the first in the world to create a process for early detection and treatment for patients with MS who develop progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML). Our multiple sclerosis specialists in Chicago monitor patients, including with brain MRI, at three- to four-month intervals. The earlier we are able to detect PML, the better chance you have to manage this potentially life-threatening disease.
- Latest MS treatment options: Multiple sclerosis specialists in downtown Chicago have long been active MS researchers through clinical trials and lab research. RUSH played a key role in developing and/or testing a number of now FDA-approved MS drugs, including Tysabri, Ocrevus and Ampyra. That research means you have access to new treatments before they are more widely available.
- Private and semi-private infusion therapy: At our downtown Chicago location, we have 15 private or semi-private infusion therapy bays. Each is sterilized between each patient for your safety. We have a full range of infusion therapies for MS, including Ocrevus. Your MS doctor will discuss with you which infusion therapy is best for your situation.
Multiple Sclerosis Second Opinion at RUSH
We understand the importance of receiving a second opinion when dealing with a complex condition like MS. At RUSH, you can expect expert care, access to the latest treatment options and a collaborative approach to your care. To get a second opinion for your MS, simply schedule an appointment with one of our neurologists specializing in MS. We'll review your medical history, imaging and other relevant information to develop a personalized treatment plan that's right for you.