Our shredded kale salad is a delicious way to make your diet greener, and our pecan "parmesan" topping gives this salad an extra pop of flavor.
- 2 medium bunches destemmed Lacinato kale, finely chopped (8-9 cups chopped)*
- 2 large garlic cloves
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ - ½ cup dried sweetened cranberries, for garnish
- 1 cup (120 g) pecan halves, toasted+
- 1½ tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pinches fine sea salt
*To speed up your prep, buy pre-chopped and washed kale at the grocery store, and chop it more finely yourself.
+For a nut-free version, try using breadcrumbs instead of pecans.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Spread the pecans onto a baking sheet and toast for 8 to 10 minutes until fragrant and lightly golden.
- Remove the stems from the kale and discard; finely chop the kale.
- Wash the chopped kale and spin dry. Place dried kale into a large bowl.
- For the dressing: Mince the garlic and add to a mini food processor or blender with the lemon, oil, salt, and pepper, processing until combined. Pour the dressing onto the kale and mix with your hands, ensuring everything is coated.
- Rinse out the mini processor and pat dry.
- Add the pecans to the processor and process until the pecans are the size of peas or a bit larger. Now add in the nutritional yeast, oil, and salt and process again until it has a coarse crumb texture. Be sure not to over-process — you still want a nice crunchy texture, not powder.
- Sprinkle the pecan parmesan and cranberries all over the salad. Wrap and place in the fridge for 30 to 60 minutes to soften, or enjoy it right away.
Serving size: 1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 54
- Saturated Fat: .5g
- Protein: 2g
- Dietary fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 59mg
- Cholesterol: 0mg