Great for luncheons or as a healthful lunch any time, this classic French salad packs a flavorful punch. Topped with a zingy homemade lemon vinaigrette and bursting with fresh ingredients, it will soon become your go-to salad.
Homemade Lemon Vinaigrette
Ditch the packaged salad dressings and make your own vinaigrette at home. The basic ingredients for vinaigrette are oil and vinegar with a ratio of 3:1, respectively, or oil and citrus juice with a ratio of 2:1. As long as you remember this ratio, you can make your own delicious dressing anytime.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
Add all ingredients in a cup to shake or blender to blend.
- 2 cups lettuce, separated, washed, drained and dried
- 1 cup cold, blanched, green beans
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 4 Tablespoons homemade lemon vinaigrette
- 12 black olives, pitted
- 3 hard-cooked egg, cold, peeled, quartered
- 2-3 Tb fresh oregano, thyme, or tarragon, minced
- Line bowl with all the lettuce, drizzle with 3 tablespoons vinaigrette
- Season beans and tomatoes with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette in a separate bowl.
- Place ½ cup lettuce on plate, combine 5-7 beans, 1 wedge tomato, 2 olives, and 2 egg wedges.
- Pour the remaining vinaigrette over all salads and top with herbs.
For extra protein, top with flaked tuna or a tuna steak.
Serving size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 132
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Protein: 2g
Total Carbohydrates: 5g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
- Sodium: 172mg