A great way to sneak in vegetables for kids, this recipe adds a healthy twist to standard meatballs.
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef or ground turkey (your choice)
- 1/4 cup quick cook oats, ground
- 3 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 egg
- ½ cup carrot, shredded
- ½ cup zucchini, shredded
- ½ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoons oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In another bowl, mix ground beef with oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and combine with milk and ground quick cook oats.
- Add egg, zucchini, carrot, onion, garlic and red pepper and mix gently until incorporated.
- Shape meatballs into 3-ounce balls.
- Place in a baking pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the meatballs are golden brown and have an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Serve with your favorite marinara or “gravy” sauce, and zucchini noodles.
Serving size: 2 meatballs (makes 12 meatballs)
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 174
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Protein: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 8g
- Dietary fiber: 3g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Cholesterol: 40mg