Naturally sweetened, moist and velvety, this banana bread recipe, adapted from our friends at Hello Spoonful, has no added sugar and is also a good source of fiber.
- 4 bananas, extra ripe, mashed
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup quick cook oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Lily's Sweets chocolate chips or Pili Hunters dark chocolate, chopped finely (optional)
- ½ teaspoon liquid Stevia (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash the bananas.
- Add the egg, applesauce, vanilla and Stevia (optional) and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips or whichever mix-ins you prefer (optional).
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips or walnuts (optional).
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
Makes 1 loaf of 8 slices
Serving size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Dietary fiber: 5g
- Sodium: 90mg
- Cholesterol: 26mg